Future modifications

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Bergskilpad
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: 1986 Hilux 4x4 SFA single cab

Future modifications

Post by Bergskilpad »

Hi guys

Considering some future mods on my Lux. Your input will be appreciated, especially the guys who have already done it.

Currently I have a standard 4Y, not really considering an engine swop. Thinking of doing EFi, dual transfer cases and link suspension front and rear. I want to create a Lux that is a monster offroad, but still driveable everyday.

Is this achievable? Let rip and put in your opinion and advice. :thumbup:
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: Future modifications

Post by Family_Dog »

An EFI conversion is definitely worthwhile, you probably gain some 10-15% better performance and less gear-changing when on an incline than with the carburetor model. Fuel consumption much the same, about 7-8km/l on an open road at Highveld altitudes. Costly, but a definite improvement offering much more driving enjoyment.

Bulldog's (my 4Y SFA) conversion is documented on this forum.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

EFI ... worth doing IRO small power gain and perhaps slightly better fuel economy (not very noticeable) but mostly off-road driveability, ... i.e. inclines / side-slopes. Here I have to say that I never had any issues with the standard Nikki carb which in my experience performed very well at all angles / inclines.

Link suspension? No way, unless you're building a competition vehicle, and then it's definitely a case of motor and gearbox upgrade, diff locks, bigger wheels, axle shift and fender cuts. Don't think that's what you're looking for.

The vehicle in standard form is already very capable but the best mod you can do is a good quality suspension upgrade like Old Man Emu. Rather spend your money there for a start. Much improved off road capability and much better ride comfort all round. Best tyre size for the 4y would be 31" .... anything bigger is going to rob you of power and also negatively affect your fuel economy.

Then look at diff locks. If you have a local rear axle / diff (Gearmax) then it's going to be a lot cheaper than with the import diff .... options are then limited and pricey .... ARB is going to set you back about 30K per diff (less about 11K for the front one because your going to use the same compressor for front and rear diffs). Electrically operated lockers from Toyota are cheaper to source but require modifications to the diff housing, so added cost there and the actuator motors are prone to giving problems due to water ingress (they need periodic maintenance).

One of the biggest mistakes I see is that guys focus too much on aesthetics rather than effective functionality. Sure, a vehicle with high suspension and big wheels looks impressive, but more impressive is when it's put to shame by a standard vehicle in the right hands. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

I agree with what has been said by Andy & Eric.

If you want to see what a Hilux in almost stock form can achieve you should go watch the 24/7 4WD channel on youtube with their budget build videos.

This is were the two budget builds compete with some serious modified vehicles.

One of the biggest limitations to a SFA Hilux is driving ability and mostly from the driver. They are hugely capable. But keep it light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk6QRXVVD3Q
Johan Marais
Bergskilpad
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Bergskilpad »

Thanks for the input guys.
How do I see if I have a local or import diff?
I agree with the carb performance, I have the original Nikki on and on one trip with about 500kg on the back at 110km/h I achieved 8.1km/lt. But you recommend EFi for smoother driving and slightly better response/performance?
I'm running 31's and I am very happy with them.
So the dual cases are a go?
Why not link suspension on 31's? With swaybars and disconnects for on the road and offroad situations? A link suspension offers more on road comfort, better handling and better off road performance does it not?
I currently have Mikem comfort pack leafs and Bilstein shocks.
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

The import diff you can not open it from the back,while the local you can.
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Bergskilpad
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Bergskilpad »

Thanks Legend. Had a look and I have the import diff. So it is ARB or electronic lockers.

I had a look at the budget build videos JohanM, and it is quite impressive what that Lux is capable of with 29's and no suspension mods. I have to admit I am very intrigued by the lockers they fitted. Almost like a mechanical LSD setup. Wonder what those will set me back? :think:

I have gone up against a couple of the newer 4x4's and given them a hiding of note, but I want my Lux to be able to go where no one can, and then drive it home. :D:
Scott
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: Hilux SFA

Post by Scott »

The 24/7 Hilux has lunch box lockers do work well.
I do have EFI manifold for the 4y if you are interested did not keep 4y motors that long currently run KZTe in SFA.
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

Scott wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:31 am The 24/7 Hilux has lunch box lockers do work well.
I do have EFI manifold for the 4y if you are interested did not keep 4y motors that long currently run KZTe in SFA.
How much for EFI manifold for the 4y?
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Lockrite lockers. Niks knoppies of kompressors nie.

So nou en dan het Ultimate 4x4 tweedehandses vir baie billike geld. En jy sal dit self kan installeer - jou hande ken mos spanners en op Lockrite se website is daar videos wat wys hoe.
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Scott
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: Hilux SFA

Post by Scott »

I am in Benoni willing to look at resonable offer.
Also have high presure pump and 2 x Mr turbo management systems.
link///viewtopic.php?f=34&t=676

Return to “The Workshop”