Main & Con Rod Bearings using the same Crankshaft

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Stallion
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Dar Es Salaam
Vehicle: Hilux Raider YN67R, South African Specification

Main & Con Rod Bearings using the same Crankshaft

Post by Stallion »

Good Afternoon to all here,

Hope all well at your end by the Grace of the Almighty.

The Stallion has had an issue in regards to the Crankshaft where the Pulley sits slid on the Half Moon Key. Somehow the Half Moon Key managed to dig its way on the Crankshaft and almost damaged the Pulley. I'm attaching a pic of what I found out.

I first started hearing a noise that resembles a worn Pulley Bearing, hence was +ve that it was the Power Steering Tensioner Pulley Bearing, therefore replaced the Bearing but the noise persisted. I, therefore, decided to check the Pulleys individually by removing the Belts one at a time and Cranking the Engine and found the Crankshaft Pulley to be the culprit :(

Well, I had to remove the Engine out of the Engine Bay to remove the Crankshaft. Tried looking for a "used good quality 4Y Crankshaft" but in vain. Therefore took the Damaged Crankshaft to Engineering and they repaired the section that was damaged by Refacing & Skimming.

I'm therefore going to use the same repaired Crankshaft and my question is, should I replace the Main & Con Rod Bearings or use the same ones, as they don't have any signs of wear or scratches. I have not uninstalled the Cylinder Head from the Block, as the Stallion didn't have any issues with smoke or Oil Consumption.

N.B: The Crankshaft Pulley Bolt was tightly secured, as we had to place the extended Wrench on the Chassis and Crank the Engine to break it loose, therefore the Bolt hadn't come loose at any stage, as I understand if the Bolt were loose, then this could've likely occurred, but I still can't figure it out how it happened.

Your advice on this will sincerely be appreciated.

Regards
Shermohamed
Attachments
IMG-20201125-WA0002.jpeg
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Main & Con Rod Bearings using the same Crankshaft

Post by Mud Dog »

It really doesn't make sense to put the old bearing cups back. Even if you put them back exactly in the same places and orientation as they were, they won't be microscopically in the exact positions and there will be new wear as they seat in again. You've got it all out, so now is the time to do it. Replace the bearings.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Stallion
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Stallion »

Evening Andy,

Thank you for your swift response to this. I feel very comfortable with your advice and will replace the Main & Con Rod Bearings.

Secondly, in regards to the Oil Pump, I have not dismantled the Pump, but is there a way or need to prime the Oil Pump during installation? We've experienced in some vehicles during reinstallation of the Oil Pump, the Pump loses its pressure, and we apply Grease on the Pump Gears to get the Pressure back and works most of the time with Old Engines. What do you recommend here? Remember the Oil Pump hasn't been dismantled, only uninstalled from the Block.

Regards
Shermohamed
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

I don't think there will be a problem with it as it won't be dry, but as a precautionary measure just squirt some oil in there before re-installing and then at first start-up, keep the revs low and watch that the oil pressure light goes off (be sure that the light is working when the key is turned to "Ign" position before start-up).

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Stallion
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Stallion »

Thank you Andy,

I'll keep that in mind :thumbup:

Regards
Shermohamed
Stallion
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Stallion »

Good Afternoon to you all,

Hope all well at your end by the Grace of the Almighty.

The Stallion was completed on the 04th Dec 2020, and all went well by the Grace of the Almighty. Took me 10 Days to get her sorted, as in between we had customers' vehicles coming in and out of the Workshop, hence had to wait until we completed our customers' vehicle repairs. Have been to the Farm & back thrice, and have clocked 1,097 km already since then, and all works great by the Almighty's Blessings :thumbup:

Wanted to update you guys on this. :-)

Regards
Shermohamed
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Good to hear that all is well. :thumbup:

Return to “The Workshop”