Brake upgrade LN110 , bigger calipers and rotors?

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Northern Outpost
Town: Vasa
Vehicle: 1992 LN110

Brake upgrade LN110 , bigger calipers and rotors?

Post by Northern Outpost »

Hi all!
First time poster here :surrender:

Recently upgraded the tires on my 1992 IFS, and the already not so good brakes, are now becoming a problem. :blushing:

Are there any newer hiluxes I can use calipers and rotors from that is a straight bolt on, and if so, will I still be able to run 16" rims? (read about prado? calipers but then you'd need 17" rims which is not an option for me.)
I know there are multiple thousand dollar/Euro ultra-mega complete upgrade kits, but that is far out of budget, I'd sooner just have the bigger tires for playing around, and run smaller ones for daily driving.

Searched far and wide, but not found a solution for this, read somewhere that there was a "plug and play" option, but never got it confirmed. My local wreckers don't have any calipers in stock I could use for reference, anybody have any experience with this?
20200509_094647.jpg
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Brake upgrade LN110 , bigger calipers and rotors?

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi and welcome Hampus! :thumbup:

Not sure about this and your model might differ a bit from ours. Often when one upgrades to a larger calliper one doesn't get the proper benefit because the master is undersized for the volume of brake fluid utilised by the bigger callipers. On the other hand, just upgrading the master and booster gets better performance out of the existing brakes all around. Might be something to look at first because if you do manage to find a calliper / rotor upgrade that is compatible, you may find that you have to upgrade the master as well anyway.

On our local SFA models we change out the rotors for Landcruiser FJ 75 ventilated rotors and replace the calipers with KZTE units. Straight bolt on and fits with 15" rims, but again, not sure this would work on your model.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Hi Hampus,

The LN series was never sold in South Africa - we had the RN, YN and progessed straight to the KZN series.

As Andy said, we use KZN calipers and FJ75 vented disks. Also installing the KZN booster and master cylinder.

Maybe just start by installing a new, standard master cylinder in yours? If the brake fluid is not perfectly clear you can know the rubber seals has started to perish and that will cause poor brake performance.
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Northern Outpost

Mud Dog wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:30 pm Hi and welcome Hampus! :thumbup:

Not sure about this and your model might differ a bit from ours. Often when one upgrades to a larger calliper one doesn't get the proper benefit because the master is undersized for the volume of brake fluid utilised by the bigger callipers. On the other hand, just upgrading the master and booster gets better performance out of the existing brakes all around. Might be something to look at first because if you do manage to find a calliper / rotor upgrade that is compatible, you may find that you have to upgrade the master as well anyway.

On our local SFA models we change out the rotors for Landcruiser FJ 75 ventilated rotors and replace the calipers with KZTE units. Straight bolt on and fits with 15" rims, but again, not sure this would work on your model.
Thank you!
Yeah, I was suspecting that would probably be the case... Reason I was asking was that I have one faulty caliper and, discs aren't the best either, so figured I'd do discs, pads, and replace the caliper, so then if there wouldn't be much of a difference buying a complete set of beefier ones, if it was a bolt on solution. Soo jealous of you guys only have the SFA models :clap: there are hardy any of those around here.
(sorry for late reply, internet problems at home, back at work now)
Northern Outpost

Thabogrobler wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:31 pm Hi Hampus,

The LN series was never sold in South Africa - we had the RN, YN and progessed straight to the KZN series.

As Andy said, we use KZN calipers and FJ75 vented disks. Also installing the KZN booster and master cylinder.

Maybe just start by installing a new, standard master cylinder in yours? If the brake fluid is not perfectly clear you can know the rubber seals has started to perish and that will cause poor brake performance.
Thx for the tip :thumbup:
have ordered a new master cylinder, along with new discs and brembo pads (never tought that could make much of a difference, but man was I wrong, bought the brembos last time I changed pads, so much more bite than the ones that were on when I bought the truck) will see how it works out :dance1:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Brembo are good with very little fade. You can't go wrong there. A new or skimmed disc that's completely true also helps a little and so does having them drilled with vent holes to help dissipate heat if they're not already ventilated.

Just bear in mind that better braking achieved with softer pads and vent drilling comes at the cost of a shorter lifespan of these components. On the flip side, you can't put a price on life-critical safety.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “The Workshop”