unusual 2010 kun26 diff housing leak

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
theg
Town: sydney
Vehicle: 2010 hilux 4x4

unusual 2010 kun26 diff housing leak

Post by theg »

20201030_174130.jpg
20201030_174137.jpg
I have oil leaking out of the diff housing bracing . Anyone seen this before . I think this indicates a leak through the main housing tube located behind the bracing .
The bracing has gasket silicone on its ends but I think this is for keeping water and mud from getting between the bracing and the tube to stop rust forming .
Ive searched many online hilux diff pictures and have not seen a single one leaking like this .
Last edited by theg on Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: 2010 kun26 diff housing leak

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi and welcome Mark.
I've never come across one that leaks without some form of injury. I cannot see clearly enough from your pics but it looks like the housing has been dented there ... might be mistaken.

Fortunately it's only just weeping and it's not a matter of urgency but it would need to be seen to, and that means stripping and welding. In the short term you could try caulk it with soap .. the bar kind and the harder the better, like a laundry soap bar. The normal toilet soap will work for a while but it's too soft to last very well. You would first clean the area and knead small pieces of soap at a time (no water added), and apply it like a putty pressing it on firmly. Could last up to a year until you can get around to the proper repair.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
theg

Post by theg »

Im suspicious there is a manufacture weld fault in the main axle tubes behind the bracing .
Its the only way I can see oil getting in there. Im guessing its supposed to be free of oil and sealed up with silicone just to keep water and mud from getting between the housing tube and brace .
The condition of the housing is still as factory delivered with no damage to the housing .
Both sides are leaking ,one more than the other .
I will remove the sealer today and allow the oil trapped behind the bracings to exit .
Interested to see if only a few drops or more comes out .
Will post more info after this is done.
theg

Post by theg »

Silicone removed .
One side had approx 3 drips of oil in it and the other side had approx 12 drips .
Im wondering if theres a pinhole in the welding of the main axle tubes and over 10 yrs and 200,000 klms its managed to put this oil through the holes into the void behind the braces .
20201101_090510.jpg
20201101_090603.jpg
20201101_090647.jpg
20201101_090705.jpg
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Quite possible. Just had a look at my rear axes and neither has that bracing. However yours doesn't look like an after market job IRO the closeness of the fit ... looks like it was pressed to an exact fit, but the welding looks manual and not machine, so I'm wondering. Then there's that sticker tag that suggests it's ex-factory.

It's not leaking much so it's not serious - even doubt that you will get any water ingress with water crossings. Maybe you can just re-seal it with something like Sika-Flex that will give a good seal and is impervious to oil. The alternative would be to complete a weld seal all the way around the gusset and that means stripping completely ... also run the risk of heat distortion / warping. I think I would just re-seal it properly with a decent product like Sika-Flex.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Re: unusual 2010 kun26 diff housing leak

Post by pietpetoors »

Clean the housing in the area of the brace and inspect for possible cracks in the housing.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots

Return to “The Workshop”