Body mounting bushes? (was never the problem)

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Splitpin
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Uitenhage
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0KZ-TE 4x4 D/C

Body mounting bushes? (was never the problem)

Post by Splitpin »

Good day all,

A irritating matter i've got with my KZ....
When its cold weather or has 4 occupants it drives like a dream.
When its warm weather or when ive been driving for more that half an hour its starts to drive like rubbish.
Shocks and suspension bushes can be ruled out as they are not older than a year.
Engine mountings have been replaced and checked...still going strong.
The KZ has 448k km on the clock and my gut is telling me that body/cab mounting bushes needs replacement.

Any comments or alternative things to look for welcome.

Regards
Splitpin
Last edited by Splitpin on Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
:cooldude: Want to need list: BunduTop, Snorkel, Onca Offroad bumper, Long range tank, New suspension, Intercooler, Custom Canvas interior, Winch, Recovery kit, Dual Battery system, Solar panel, Fridge/Freezer.
Splitpin
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Re: Body mounting bushes?

Post by Splitpin »

Gents?
:cooldude: Want to need list: BunduTop, Snorkel, Onca Offroad bumper, Long range tank, New suspension, Intercooler, Custom Canvas interior, Winch, Recovery kit, Dual Battery system, Solar panel, Fridge/Freezer.
dd6
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: 1995 SFA

Post by dd6 »

Daniel, "drive like rubbish" doesn't tell me what the problem is. What does the vehicle do? Can't you keep it in the road or what?
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

You wrote:When its cold weather or has 4 occupants it drives like a dream.
When its warm weather or when ive been driving for more that half an hour its starts to drive like rubbish.
You say shocks can be ruled out but I'm not so sure ..... what you describe is typical of a hard shock absorber or one that is too heavy duty rated for it's application. In a case like this the extra weight of 4 people (or a load) smooths out the ride, or in some cases like with a purely hydraulic shock (no gas) there is a small amount of "fade" as the hydraulic oil warms up and becomes more viscous. The faded damping will then also give a smoother ride with an overly heavy duty unit.

What shocks are in there? Are they adjustable? If it's Gabriel Safari's, I think that's your problem. :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

P.S. It's not the body mount rubbers - they get harder and compressed over time so their ability to absorb vibration does indeed lessen, but their function is purely vibration damping and not shock damping. Furthermore their characteristics won't change significantly enough with cold and warm weather. Then also, with an additional load of passengers they would tend to be compressed further which would result in less ability to absorb vibration, not the other way around.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Dowe Koos
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Buschwagen 2.7 4x4

Post by Dowe Koos »

Agree with Andy
Ecc 1:9 Wat gewees het, dit sal daar weer wees; en wat gebeur het, dit sal weer gebeur, en daar is glad niks nuuts onder die son nie.
Splitpin
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Splitpin »

dd6 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:28 pm Daniel, "drive like rubbish" doesn't tell me what the problem is. What does the vehicle do? Can't you keep it in the road or what?
I can keep it on the road no worries, When cold it feels like a brand new vehicle, When warm it feels like a old worn out plaas bakkie.
Splitpin
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Splitpin »

Mud Dog wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:40 pm
You wrote:When its cold weather or has 4 occupants it drives like a dream.
You say shocks can be ruled out but I'm not so sure ..... what you describe is typical of a hard shock absorber or one that is too heavy duty rated for it's application. In a case like this the extra weight of 4 people (or a load) smooths out the ride, or in some cases like with a purely hydraulic shock (no gas) there is a small amount of "fade" as the hydraulic oil warms up and becomes more viscous. The faded damping will then also give a smoother ride with an overly heavy duty unit.

What shocks are in there? Are they adjustable? If it's Gabriel Safari's, I think that's your problem. :think:
Monroe shocks, not adjustable.....reading your comment makes a lot of sense, i once loaded 20 bags of wood and it felt like driving a car with air suspension.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

If you don't often load it then an easy solution is to load a couple of sandbags right at the back, not ideal for fuel economy though because you're lugging extra weight. Won't have a big impact but over time it amounts up - motor also works that little bit harder through it's life. Might be better in the longer term to consider softer shocks.

On the other hand, if you do often carry loads, then load the sandbags as ballast when there's no load.

Just thinking "out loud". :think: :winkx:

Splitpin
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Re: Body mounting bushes? (was never the problem)

Post by Splitpin »

Issue solved...
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

And so? What was it?

Splitpin
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Splitpin »

So for the fifth time work was done to the driveshaft. 3 times repair and 2 times rebuild.
High spots on a brake drum caused a vibration and I thought it was the driveshaft, after taking the driveshaft in I was told that the slipyolk was worn and needed replacing (1st rebuild) +- a year ago.
So after replacing the brake drum and having fitted my new driveshaft i was a happy chappy.... :yahoo:

A few months later I started to notice some weird noise when cruising over 100km/h.As per my OP it got worse and I decided to get underneath after doing two 100km trips 2 days in a row. There was play on the driveshaft...and no not rotational play....side to side play. Being gatvol i took it in :surrender:
A gent @ Ferobrake Port Elizabeth told me that the previous gentlemen that worked on the driveshaft took a land cruiser male side slipyolk and made it fit on the worn out kzte female side slipyolk.
I must say..for a gemors job they did it pretty good...and it lasted about a year. Anyway...all new parts were ordered...strictly KZTE parts....and a brand new "heavy duty" driveshaft was born....
Its happy days and my KZ drives gorgeous on the road...cruising along...no vibrations... There is a new noise which i believe is coming from the passenger side.

Return to “The Workshop”