Hilux 'problems'

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Michael Nell
Town: Uitenhage
Vehicle: 2014 Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D extra cab

Hilux 'problems'

Post by Michael Nell »

Good day Hilux owners,

I am the owner of a 2014 3.0d4d extra cab 4x4 with just over 90 000 km on the clock. I have had the vehicle for almost a year now and a few problems have rised...
-Spiral cable replacement
-Clutch replacement
-Steering rack ends that must be replaced

And the latest is that the fuel gauge shows just under quarter full and then I run out of fuel... What is the reason for this?

Luckily the vehicle came with the pre-owned extended warranty (from the previous owner) but what I would like to know is where will it all stop? What else could go wrong :shock2:

I LOVE my bakkie but am struggling to stay positive. Have others had the same streak of bad luck? Some advice advice or motivation will be appreciated :mrgreen:

Michael
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Hilux 'problems'

Post by Mud Dog »

The spiral cables were a known problem and there was a recall with free replacement. The clutch is a wearing part and it's life is relative to how hard it's worked and driving style - I have almost 200 thousand km on an original clutch with my SFA. I don't recall any inherent clutch problems being reported with the D4D but know about the squeaky clutch fork problem. Could be that the clutch worked hard wit the previous owner/s.

Rack-end replacement after 90 thou is unusual, but at least it's going to be covered.

The fuel gauge is also a known problem and the cause is actually in the cluster rather than the sender unit in the tank. I don't think there was recall for it, but get it sorted while the warranty still holds - replacement clusters aren't cheap.

Otherwise you have a tough reliable vehicle. :thumbup: :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “The Workshop”