Transfer case issues

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Milli
Town: Auckland
Vehicle: LN167

Transfer case issues

Post by Milli »

Gidday everyone

Recently I have run into a slight problem with my ln167. I have looked through many similar threads but none seem to lead to a solution that works for me.

About a year back when i brought it the 4wd worked perfectly but right after having to replace a couple things for a WOF such as the front drive shaft i have run into a few problems. It goes into 4wd like it should but does not come back out even after removing any bind by jacking the wheels up. To get it out i have to place it in 2wd, turn the ute off and then back on, which then after a couple of seconds it successfully goes back into 2wd. Could i some how have damaged something? :frustrated:

Another thing I noticed is the front drive shaft is now permanently connected to the rear while still in 2wd, I don't remember is being like this when I had to remove the front driveshaft, Is this normal? The ADD disconnects but it feels like the transfer case is jammed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Cheers.
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

Re: Transfer case issues

Post by niclemaitre »

The front driveshaft should fully decouple when in 2wd. It should rotate freely by hand. It sounds to me like the transfer case selector may have come off of the coupling in the transfer case itself, so that when you move the lever, nothing is actually changing inside the transfer case. Can you still actually engage low range?
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold
IFS '99 DC "Benny"
Milli

Post by Milli »

Thanks, that is what I thought.

It shifts into high and low range flawlessly but the transfer case doesn't seem to want to let go of the front drive shaft. Im assuming the transfer case uses the electric motor to engage the front driveshaft, is it possible for this to get jammed?

cheers
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by niclemaitre »

The 2WD-4WD selection is manual. The selector slides a gear up a shaft to a point where it engages with the front drive shaft gearing to drive it. Presumably this gear is not able to return to the 2WD position
Happy trails
Nic

IFS '99 DC "Benny"
Milli

Post by Milli »

I hooked the shift motor up to 12v today and nothing happened but its resistance shows its withing all the correct values. Ill take it apart tomorrow and report back.

Still confused about the engine having to be restarted for it to exit 4wd, would this be connected to the tc issue or something else like a faulty vsv?

cheers
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by niclemaitre »

Just checking that this is your Hilux?

I'm really sure that there isn't any kind of electrical motor involvement in shifting 2wd-4wd
Happy trails
Nic

IFS '99 DC "Benny"
Milli

Post by Milli »

Yes that is it, but on the rear of the transfer case there is a shift motor that engages 4wd, the lever in the cabin only physically shifts between high and low range.
It wont let me upload a photo of it so what I mean is the second to bottom photo on here https://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/add.htm

cheers
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Actuator motors are prone to getting all 'gunked up' inside. Water ingress messes up the grease and over time it tends to solidify. This may or may not be the cause of your problem, but it's worth while to remove the actuator, strip, clean and re-pack with fresh grease.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Milli

Post by Milli »

I managed to solve it after a bit of trial and error so here is how i did it

The motor for the first part was good but the shaft that it shifts that enters the transfer case would get caught on the way back to 2wd. A lot of moving it back and fourth by hand loosened it enough to allow it to move freely again. This solved half the problem but the motor still seemed to get caught whens its at the end of its travel, a spray of lube and a few hits with a rubber mallet managed to fix this and so far 4wd has been working great.

Cheers guys.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Good to hear. :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “The Workshop”