2.8 GD6 Auto VS Manual & 4x4 vx 2x4

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
JarydSnyman
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux 2.8GD6 Auto

2.8 GD6 Auto VS Manual & 4x4 vx 2x4

Post by JarydSnyman »

Hello all!

I am looking at purchasing a 2.8 GD6 Extra Cab for use as a towing vehicle for a Motorcyle transport business.

I would like some input on the longevity of the Auto box vs manual considering that we do anything between 6000 and 12000km per month currently.

The average tow capacity is between 2 and 3 tons.

I am purchasing a extension on the Toyota Factory Warranty which will extend the warranty to 8 years unlimited mielage but I am also interested to hear from any higher mielage users with the 2.8 GD6 motor.

My final question is if a 4x4 version will have any extra wear and tear if it used in 2H for 90% of its lifetime. I am just thinking that it would be nice to have a 4x4 for a trip once or twice a year but don't want to jeapordize longetivity on the setup by having an unused 4x4 system.

Regards,

Jaryd
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: 2.8 GD6 Auto VS Manual & 4x4 vx 2x4

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi and welcome Jaryd! :thumbup:

I really cannot comment on the 2.8 GD6 from any personal experience but diesels make for good towing vehicles. However they don't like to work too hard for long because of heat. To this end I would rather have a manual box so that I can select the gearing myself. Sure you can do that with an auto as well but personally I would still prefer manual. Then auto boxes in general tend to be a little less reliable than manuals and normally more costly to repair / maintain.

IRO extra wear on a 4x4 version, yes, there are extra working parts that require some maintenance over time but the diff is de-coupled in H2 and there is no extra wear if used in this mode. You might find that there is a very small negative impact on fuel economy though between a 4x4 vs 2x4 version. Nice to have the 4x4 option when you need it though.

Hopefully someone here with a GD6 can give some additional feedback. Good luck with your decision. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Johan Kriel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Okahandja
Vehicle: 2.5 SC 4x4

Re: 2.8 GD6 Auto VS Manual & 4x4 vx 2x4

Post by Johan Kriel »

I had a 3l d4d Prado and now a hilux 2.8 GD6 auto box. The issue when towing is to make sure that the box dont hunt up and down when towing else it will overheat. Then lock it a a lower gear. With a manual it can be damage if lugging in too a high gear which will not happen with an auto box.

So both ways you need to be careful. So at the its maybe it about a personal choice, I would say
Johan Kriel

Legend 50

Return to “The Workshop”