3Y harmonic balancer with double pulley

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Greyhound
Town: Bundaberg
Vehicle: Toyota HiAce

3Y harmonic balancer with double pulley

Post by Greyhound »

Greetings All.

I'm in need of some help tracking down the right part for my 3Y.

I currently have the standard harmonic balancer fitted to my crankshaft, this being the one that takes a single drive belt which drives the alternator and water pump. I believe that some of the 3Y and 4Y engines came fitted with a dual crankshaft pulley the second belt being used to drive either an air-con or power steering. From some info that I have managed to find it appears as though this second pulley bolts on to the original single pulley harmonic balancer using 4 small bolts.

My first question is whether anyone has fitted this second pulley to their existing harmonic balancer ?

My second question is whether this second pulley is for the multi- groove flat drive belt or the older style v belt ?

I'd really appreciate some info from those more knowledge on the 3 or 4Ys than I am. First prize for me would be if anyone has the part number for the second pulley.

Thanks in advance.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: 3Y harmonic balancer with double pulley

Post by Mud Dog »

Second belt is also a V belt. Not sure if you will still be able to get pulleys from Toyota, doubt it.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Greyhound
Town: Bundaberg
Vehicle: Toyota HiAce

Post by Greyhound »

Thanks for confirming that it is a V belt Mud Dog. Sadly I need a multi groove pulley for my conversion. I' ve come across a few aftermarket suppliers that do stock the pulley, but all of them are the v belt one. I'll have to rethink my plan. Thanks again.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

If it's a bolt on pulley, then all you need to do is to have an engineering works put new bolt holes with the required PCD on a grooved pulley.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “The Workshop”