4Y Possible Blown Head Gasket

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Harkerville WC
Vehicle: 1990 Hilux 4Y

4Y Possible Blown Head Gasket

Post by dax021 »

Hi All,

Recently found that my radiator level was very low. Did not get a high temperature reading, everything seemed normal and engine was running perfectly. I only realised the coolant was low when I decided that it was probably about time to check the water and oil, which I do every few weeks. I immediately filled the radiator and everything seems to be fine, except that I have a niggly feeling that all is not well. I don't see traces of water in the oil, nor oil in the water, but if I open the oil filler while the engine is running, I get quite a bit of blow from the opening. Also if I sniff the oil cap, I get a definite exhaust sort of smell. Is there a test I can do at home to check for a blown gasket, or would I have to take it somewhere for a pressure test or something like that?

Any advice would be welcome and appreciated
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: 4Y Possible Blown Head Gasket

Post by Mud Dog »

You're getting a bit of "blow-by" on the rings ... understandable with an old motor. That's where the smell and venting at the filler cap comes from, so no worries there.

How old is the radiator cap? Could be that its playing up and you're losing a bit of water through the reservoir overflow.

Check when cold that the reservoir is half full and that the radiator level is to the top. Check again after a couple of days to see if there is a difference - if so replace the cap and check again after a couple of days.

It doesn't sound like you have a gasket problem but if it's not the cap it could be that the radiator / fan / water pump might have an issue ... either just one of them or a combination. More common is that the radiator is not coping - could be choked, fins could be choked or corroded away. Less likely is the visco fan and least likely the water pump.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by dax021 »

Thanks Andy, knew I could rely on you for sound advice. What you say makes perfect sense and I'm probably over stressing. Radiator cap is possibly 30 yrs old, but I don't think that's the problem as the bottle was also empty when I first noticed the lack of coolant. Radiator was flushed and tested by Silverton 10 yrs ago when I rebuilt the engine. Fan is solid, not viscous, and I can't see any signs of coolant leaking around water pump. I will monitor closely for any more coolant loss. I drove around for a while today then opened the bonnet and checked to see if I could see any leaks, but found none. Will check level in the morning again (when cold) and again after warming up and see. The other question I have is, I am told not to mix different brands of antifreeze, but my thoughts are that I can't see that it could hurt as they are all glycol ethylene based, albeit with different concentrations, which I always convert to a 50/50 mix anyway.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Generally I would agree not to mix different brands of anti-freeze. Yes, they have the same glycol base but with different additives and it's these that might just react with one another and reduce the efficiency of the additive. That said, I don't think it's the end of the world if you've mixed brands.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by dax021 »

Thanks, feel better already. Once I'm sure there's no leaks, I might just do a complete coolant change to be on the safe side.
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

Peter can i give you some advise. Get the genuine Toyota anti-freeze. They are ready mix ,no need to add any water. They are by fast much better than any other anti-freeze. You will also noted the the engine runs a bit cooler with the Toyota anti-freeze. Stay far away from the yellow anti-freeze .They are not good for the aluminium parts
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by dax021 »

The Legend wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:59 pm Peter can i give you some advise. Get the genuine Toyota anti-freeze. They are ready mix ,no need to add any water. They are by fast much better than any other anti-freeze. You will also noted the the engine runs a bit cooler with the Toyota anti-freeze. Stay far away from the yellow anti-freeze .They are not good for the aluminium parts
Thanks, I had forgotten that this topic had been discussed here before. I will definitely look into this.

Return to “The Workshop”