2001 KZTE difflock not engaging

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Tristin
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: East london
Vehicle: Toyota hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC359

2001 KZTE difflock not engaging

Post by Tristin »

Evening gents i recently took ownership of a 2001 3lt KZTE , apon taking ownership i was told about the difflock not engaging which I didn't think it would be a problem to sort out.A couple of hours later and still no luck
If i shift to low range and engage the difflock button , the abs light comes on and the diff lock light flashes constantly.I have checked to see if I am getting power to the diff ,which I am not getting constant power. On the green and black strip wire it seems to flash with a test light.
I have traced the wires up to the control box behind the drivers side kick panel and still no power coming out of the unit other than the flashing light on the green and black stripped wire very dim thou
Any ideas or something else I've missed ,I have done the mod to see if that was going to help and still no luck
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Re: 2001 KZTE difflock not engaging

Post by george »

Hi Tristin

I also had problems with my diff lock on the KZ and now the Prado.
I also tried to trace the power but could never pick up power on the wires.

Here is a video of how to service the actuator. I did it and helped on both.But on the Prado it stopped working after a while. In the end I got a new one from Amazon

phpBB [video]

View Original
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Tristin
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Tristin »

Thanks for the info ...will try it out the weekend and hopefully come right
Tristin
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Tristin »

Small update on the diff lock , decided to open the motor today and come to my surprise the motor is completely corroded and will need to be replaced
Apon me opening the top of the difflock, i found the magnets inside housing have come adrift inside.The picture of the corrosion is what came out the top of the difflock as well as the breather.
Attachments
20200913_151102.jpg
20200913_151057.jpg
20200913_151039.jpg
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Its a common problem with the motorized actuators, especially if the vehicle has done some wading. I imagine that the units should be removed and serviced periodically, also making sure that the seals are in good order.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Tristin
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Tristin »

Evening gents
I came right with another complete actuator that came off a spare diff.I used the new actuator and it still didn't motor over, but could here the relays clicking.
I ended up stripping the new actuator ,cleaning it properly with contact cleaner on all the electrical points, regreased everything and re assembled.
I plugged the actuator in and to my surprise it turned over to the lock postion. I put everything back together and had to take the bakkie for a low range tour in our neighborhood park, with locking the diff and unlocking the diff like a child with a new toy.im glad to say that I have come right and now have a working difflock :celebrate:
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

That is good news, you saved yourself a lot of money :thumbup:
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

:thumbup: Good to hear, Tristin.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “The Workshop”