Monroe VS KYB

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
faiyaz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: lusaka
Vehicle: toyota hilux ln65 4x4 dlx s/c

Monroe VS KYB

Post by faiyaz »

Hey! Just completed a service on my LN65 Hilux :thumbup: , decided to check the rear shocks. Upon removal and pumping, the shocks did not push back. Genuine Toyota shocks were fitted 6 years ago so i guess they have done their time :think: :think: . I managed to source some Monroe Gas Magnum shocks as seen below(Made in SA). However also found KYB Gas shocks which were for the same price.... which brand would be better? Anyone have experience with using these Monroe shocks? are they any good? The front shocks are Monroe Gas Magnum too.
Attachments
IMG_20200727_213819.jpg
hilux raider ln65 4x4 s/c
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Monroe VS KYB

Post by Mud Dog »

I don't know the KYB, so would go for the Monroe's which would have been one of my suggestions anyway. Pretty decent shock for the price range and will give a softer ride that the Gabriel Safari.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
faiyaz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by faiyaz »

Oh i see, will stick with these. Have had bad experience with Gabriel Safari shocks, fitted them in the front and after a few months they started to leak oil and had to be changed. KYB is an OEM shock usually fitted at factory on many vehicles.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

:thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

First time I hear of KYB, I currently have Monroe and do not have problems.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
faiyaz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by faiyaz »

Oh I see, it's quite a big brand perhaps more common in cars. It's a Japanese brand. I'll stick to the Monroe's. :)
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

It is worth investigating, I did a Google search and saw some good things about KYB, is just not well known in South Africa.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
faiyaz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by faiyaz »

Haha i see. True!

Return to “The Workshop”