torque value - dry or greased

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
maurits
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: deventer
Vehicle: VW Taro 4x4 diesel

torque value - dry or greased

Post by maurits »

I replaced my rear wheel bearings and the oil seals.

I tightened the four bolts (M10x1.25) of the rear axle housing to 55 Nm for now. Which is 80% of torque the manual calls for. My bolts are greased, not dry.

I work in the manufacturing industry. Torque values there are usually dry values.

What did Toyota Motor Corporation had in mind regarding torque specs? Dry bolts or lightly greased?

VAG-Taro-page138.jpg
(31.13 KiB) Not downloaded yet
VAG-Taro-page1.jpg
(17.35 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: torque value - dry or greased

Post by Mud Dog »

I agree that values usually apply to dry, undamaged threads. If they spec 60NM and you're already at 55NM then you're closer to 90%. There's no doubt the bolt shank can handle it because it's spec'd for higher but its the threads themselves that might deform or strip because they'll have more lateral force with wet threads than dry threads on the same torque setting.

Maybe just leave them where they are now.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
maurits
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: deventer
Vehicle: VW Taro 4x4 diesel

Re: torque value - dry or greased

Post by maurits »

The manual says 69 Nm actually. I'll leave it at 55 Nm then. Thanks.

Return to “The Workshop”