Tig welder?

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Tig welder?

Post by pietpetoors »

I want to buy myself a TIG welder. But I see you get combination machines which offers MIG and TIG.

I see some of them says "not suitable for Aluminium TIG welding" , why would it not be suitable for Alu welding?
Like this one
https://www.takealot.com/matweld-welder ... ID66968725

I also see it says you can weld Alu with MIG, did not know you can weld Alu with MIG< I always thought you can only do it with TIG.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Cres
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: JHB
Vehicle: Cressida 2JZ , Lexus IS200 Sport , Hilux s/c 3.0D4D 4x4, Hilux d/c SFA 7MGTE

Re: Tig welder?

Post by Cres »

Aluminium uses ac witch a lot of tig machines can't do and s/s or mild steel is dc takes a lot of practice
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Thank you, so if I want to use it for Alu and mild steel it must be AC/DC
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Is there anybody who have one of these combination machines? MIG and TIG ?

Are they working OK or is it better to just stick with a TIG

I do not weld much, I need it mainly to weld body panels on vehicles and the odd Aluminium frame every now and then.

So if I stick to TIG something like this might be better?
https://arcwelders.co.za/matweld-tig200 ... ig-welder/
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

For what my opinion may be worth, I would just stick to TIG. The whole wire feed thing can be a hassle IMO .... yes nice in many instances but with TIG one can feed as much as needed ... you can just flow existing metal together or add without having to constantly adjust or switch off wire feed rates. With TIG you can also change wire thickness at the drop of a hat if you need to.

Just my opinion and others might disagree with reasons that are valid for their specific use. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Thank you.
How do one determine what thickness of filler wire you will need?

For example if I use it to weld mild steel body panels of 0.8 - 1mm what thickness of wire must I use compared to let's say 5mm mild steel?

Same with alu, let's say I need to weld between 2 and 5mm Alu ?

Can one just stick to one thickness of wire or do you need different thicknesses?
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

The thicker the wire the more heat it draws so on thinner material it doesn't always make sense to reduce the wire size, however with thinner wire you can reduce the welding amps and reduce the heat that way and get a better penetration and flow. On thin material like body panels I would use a wire that,s about 1½ times the material thickness, so a 1.5mm filler rod is pretty much ok IMO.

When you're welding 5mm material it tends to swing the other way .... the material draws away a lot of heat, so a thinner rod like 2mm 2.5mm is better in my general experience. I'm not a qualified welder, so what I've learned as I went along might not be what's recommended in the trade. There must be guidelines available on line and I suggest you look at those first. Often there is also some info about this that comes with the machine.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

I've always fancied MIG but with our alu canopy builds the TIG worked a charm and I've seen that same welder do stainless just as well

You could get those hose kits for the normal inverter welder, much cheaper but as mentioned you can't do Alu with it as it is only DC. A decent TIG with the AC/DC and all the settings would be the thicker end of R20k, so if you can lay your hands on a used one that would be 1st prize...and get a pro to set it up properly for you...it can be quite daunting in the beginning.
maurits
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: deventer
Vehicle: VW Taro 4x4 diesel

Post by maurits »

I would always use MAG for automotive and other thin body panel stuff, not TIG. TIG welding proces puts substancially more energy/heat into the base metal relative to the filler. This means more shrinking when cooling down. More tension after welding makes it harder to keep things straight (or properly curved).

Stock aluminum is fairly stiff due to fabrication. After welding you stand to lose all that. I would prefer blind riveting. To prevent corrosion use regular zinc plated carbon steel rivits. Don't use stainless steel rivits on aluminium.

Return to “The Workshop”