Toyota Fortuner D4D not starting

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Milo
Town: Secunda
Vehicle: Toyota Fortuner 3.0-4D R/B A/TT

Toyota Fortuner D4D not starting

Post by Milo »

Hi hope someone can assist me. My car didnt want to start so I changed the battery and mixed up the cables and connected on incorrect terminal, hooter went crazy and I took off the cables. Put back the original battery and phoned a friend to jump the battery, noticed that central locking wasn't working when open with immobilizer and had to manually unlock, connected jumper cables( correct this time) and car still dont want to start, like it doesn't get enough power to start the engine, please help. I'm not sure what's draining battery as it's a new battery 2 years but it's not the first time that I jump start it also. TIA
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Toyota Fortuner D4D not starting

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi and welcome Samantha! :thumbup:

I'm no auto electrician and don't know the ins and outs with the D4D models, but I think your problem stemmed from the incorrect battery connection. Hopefully it's just a fuse that's blown and not something expensive like the ECU. Check the fuses in the engine bay as well as the ones in the cab, particularly the ones marked IGN (Ignition) and Glow plugs.

Hope this helps or that someone else here with a bit more intimate knowledge of your vehicle can assist. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Milo

Post by Milo »

Thanks Mud Dog I honestly hope it's not something serious.
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Hopefully not something serious. But if all the fuses have been checked and are still good, then you might have to summon the help of an auto electrician.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Milo

Post by Milo »

Hi Mud Dog, I replaced a few fuses but still dont want to start unless I jump the battery, contacted a auto electrician to check,
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Let us know what he finds .... might help someone else in the future. Still hoping it's something small.

dd6
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: 1995 SFA

Post by dd6 »

Samantha, are you the vehicle's first owner? Do you know if there are any tracking units installed? They are normally the culprits for draining a battery, especially when their own batteries fail. I've removed 3 units from one vehicle in the past.
Milo

Post by Milo »

Hi no I'm not the first owner, auto electrician replaced more fuses and also warned me about tracking units that's draining the battery. I only got a warning SMS from tracking company today that the battery is flat.
dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Harkerville WC
Vehicle: 1990 Hilux 4Y

Post by dax021 »

So, is it starting now, or still not?

Return to “The Workshop”