Which 4Y to buy?

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Frans Visser
Town: Brits
Vehicle: Land rover

Which 4Y to buy?

Post by Frans Visser »

Hi guys new on the forum! I have an old Landy that I want to fit a new 4Y engine, I read all the post on the 4Y replacements but did not find an answer. The QCH engine from Usa is R15000, and the Chinese one R17000, who in Gauteng or nearby sell the Korean engine? Which one will you guys recommend?
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Which 4Y to buy?

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi and welcome Frans! :thumbup:

I think I would opt for the USA motor before the Chinese one even though I don't now the USA unit. It's also my understanding that the Korean unit is of a better build quality than the Chinese one which is a very rough finish.

Phone around to guys like Midas, AutoZone and N1 Bakkie Spares to check if they keep the Korean built unit .... hopefully one of the guys up your way will be able to steer you in the right direction.

From what I have heard, one of the biggest problems is the quality of the peripherals that come with these motors so maybe you can keep a lookout to source a Nikki carb in good condition as well as an alternator and starter motor, although some of the pirate units on the starter and alternator are pretty good.

That all said, why do you want to fit a 4Y? It's true that spares are easily available all over for them but there are other motors that might be more suitable albeit that you might have to source a 2nd hand / used unit. The 4y is notoriously sluggish and thirsty, even the EFI units are just marginally better than than the carburetted ones. For the same fuel economy you could fit a V6 with more guts. If you want good economy as well as decent power, then you might want to consider a diesel - the Ford 2.5lit WL motor is an excellent unit and good bang for your buck.
Just some thoughts ...... :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Mud,

Those WL's runs north of R35k nowadays....
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Thabogrobler wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:06 pm Mud,

Those WL's runs north of R35k nowadays....
Wow! That's become steep! :shock:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Frans Visser

Post by Frans Visser »

Thanks for the reply guys, and sorry for the late reply. The Landy is only a weekend car and offroad plaything. The current engine is fine but the 4y have about 20kw more than the 2.25, dont need more power than that, then you start having problems with the gearbox, which was designed in 1930...other reason is that spares is available. To get spares for the 2.25 I have to go to JHB. Reason I don't want to go diesel, is cost of engine, noise, and the gear ratios is wrong for a diesel, even for a petrol it is short, final ratio is 5.4:1 in fourth gear. Fuel consumption is not an issue because it is a 3rd car. Do someone else maybe you who sells the Korean engines, I would like to get a quote.
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

Frans

Kontak Henk Groenveld van Magalliesburg. Hy het oorgedoende oorspronklike Japanese 4y engines wat baie beter is as chinese of koreaanse 4y engines.

Sy selfoon nommer is 0721365095 of 0723866096. Jy kan vir hom se Dawie Nortier het jou na hom toe verwys
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Frans Visser

Post by Frans Visser »

Dankie Legend, dit klink na n oplossing!

Return to “The Workshop”