Stallion's producing a humming sound on 3rd Gear only

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Stallion
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Dar Es Salaam
Vehicle: Hilux Raider YN67R, South African Specification

Stallion's producing a humming sound on 3rd Gear only

Post by Stallion »

Good Evening gents,

Hope all well at your ends by the Grace of the Almighty.

I refer to the above subject.

Yesterday while returning from the Farm, when reached town, I noticed a humming sound in the Stallion when on 3rd gear, first I thought the sound was the Front RHS Wheel Bearing, but then I noticed the humming only when on 3rd gear.

Today when I came out this evening for my errands, I confirmed the sound is only when on 3rd Gear between the speeds of 40 to 45 kms/h,and that even on low RPM, between 1,500 to 1,900

If you place it on 3rd gear and you're above 2,500 RPM and continue,the humming isn't there at all, only happens between 40 to 45 kms/h, on 3rd and only between 1,500 to 1,900 RPM.

Could anyone please advise what could cause this ?

Regards
Shermohamed
Stallion
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Re: Stallion's producing a humming sound on 3rd Gear only

Post by Stallion »

Also Noticed that, it only humms during those speeds and revs, only when I'm on uniform acceleration, if I deaccelerate, the humming goes away. Was driving completing my errands, and was noticing at the same time, so noticed this also.

Regards
Shermohamed
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

When it happens in one gear only then it's in the box. Could be the 3rd gear bearing that's starting to play up or even the gear teeth getting a bit worn but I'm leaning towards the bearing.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Stallion
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Stallion »

Good Morning Andy,

Thank you for your swift response on this.

Noted in regards to the bearing, I'm thinking of letting it go for now if it's the bearing issue in the box for the 3rd gear, and when it needs more attention, then I'll bring the Transmission down for tear up and rebuild.

What do you think or advise?

Regards
Shermohamed
Stallion
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Stallion »

I was also thinking, that if the humming becomes a little serious, then I'd go for a 90W140 Gear Oil first, before bringing the Transmission down. What do you think on this?

Regards
Shermohamed
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

You could try the oil change but I'm not sure it will make much difference. I also don't think it's serious enough to be deemed urgent, but at some point you will need to plan a recon of the box.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Stallion
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Stallion »

Good Afternoon Andy

Thanks for your swift response as usual. I'll try the Oil Change first if the Sound gets serious, and yes, as you stated, it doesn't sound serious yet to bring the Transmission down, so I'll keep her going for now and later change the oil to 90W140 so see if it'll help.

Regards
Shermohamed

Return to “The Workshop”