My Stallion not firing up

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Stallion
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Dar Es Salaam
Vehicle: Hilux Raider YN67R, South African Specification

My Stallion not firing up

Post by Stallion »

Good Evening to all,

I've run into a problem in my Stallion, and all of a sudden.

She won't fire up, checked the fuel lines with the fuel pump, they checked to be okay. Removed the Spark Plug Wire # 1 and tested for Spark, she isn't Sparking, I hope it's not the Distributor, as I had replaced it on the 27th Aug 2018 that was ordered from Australia. (Took 3 Months to get here into Tanzania :frustrated: ).

If there's no Spark from the Distributor, then the Distributor could be faulty or how do i trace the Wiring that supplies power to the Distributor? (I understand that she gets the Distributor Power from the Ignition, am I right?)

Also when i was going to the Farm on Tuesday (03rd March 2020), i noticed something new with the Rev Counter, when it was Bouncing to Zero, the Vehicle would almost switch off. That happened twice that day, once while going and the 2nd time while returning. On Wednesday and Thursday 04th & 05th March 2020, it happened twice, once each day & she almost switched off both the times. Today this evening i was going out, started her up, she fired great and as was getting her warmed up on idle, and the Rev Counter Bounced once, she was about to switch off, but then continued great and then she suddenly switched off and never fired again, and got to know there's no spark coming from the Distributor.

Any assistance on this will sincerely be appreciated.

Regards
Shermohamed
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: My Stallion not firing up

Post by Mud Dog »

Sounds to me like the coil pack was breaking down and has now failed. The rev counter wire is usually connected to the negative terminal of the coil where it picks up the pulses (2 pulses = 1 revolution on a 4 cylinder, 4 stroke motor).
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Stallion
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Stallion »

Oww dear,

This means that I could be in for a distributor Replacement again. Unless if I could only get the Coil from used at the parts store here in Dar Es Salaam.

I'll be going to the workshop today with my Electrician to do some further inspections on the wiring to and from the Distributor, and see what can we come up with.

Thanks Andy for your response.

Regards
Shermohamed
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

What engine is it? If you still have a distributor you probably has one ignition coil?
Is it an electronic distributor or does it have points?
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

It's a 4Y motor Pieter. I assume it was the old points / condenser type but has since had a dizzy replacement which may be the later electronic type. Not sure how that's going to be overcome. I think the coil pack is built into the dizzy cap which means a cap replacement if he can source one up there..

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Stallion
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Stallion »

Afternoon guys,

She has a Integrated Ignition Assembly, electronic Distributor with built in Coil, Magnito and Ignitor.

Found the problem and was the Ignitor that died, got a used one ex Japan from a used parts store, replaced it and the Stallion is alive by the grace of the Almighty

Appreciate your responses guys, thanks alot

Regards
Shermohamed
Stallion
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Stallion »

N.B. I uninstalled the Distributor after inspecting the current into the Distributor from the Ignition Switch, that checked out to be okay, then took the Distributor to the store, where they measured the Coil, Magnito and Ignitor and found the Ignitor to be faulty.

The store uninstalled the faulty Ignitor, replaced it and I then installed the Distributor back onto the stallion.

Regards
Shermohamed
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Well done, glad you got it fixed.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Glad to hear! :thumbup:

I assume that the rev counter problem has now also disappeared?

Stallion
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Stallion »

Thank you Pieter, and Andy, the Rev Counter problem hasn't shown so far after solving the matter, infact i've noticed that it reads smoother so far. Drove her today for 37kms and by the Grace of the Almighty, the Steed is running smooth.
:yahoo:

Thanks once again for all your assistance and responses.

Regards
Shermohamed
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

:thumbup:

Return to “The Workshop”