Hilux needs help please help

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Jason nz
Town: Taupo
Vehicle: 2001 sr5 Toyota hilux 4x4

Hilux needs help please help

Post by Jason nz »

Gday there, never written up a forum but I'm in desperate need of some knowledge here please bear with me, any help would be immensely appreciated, I have a 2001 hilux 4x4 1kzte kzn165. I done a engine transplant a while ago and motor came out of a 93 surf, swapped over intake manifold sump injector pump etc. But there's been a code 14 haunting me for a while now which is the timing control valve/ circuit frozen or clogged fuel filter which I've replaced. Engine makes a horrific rattling noise when timing is set correctly but would go away if you retard the pump and then she'll go alright upto about 70kmh then engine light comes on and it goes into a limp mode and when you turn it off it doesn't want to start again because the pumps retarded. I took it into taupo Toyota and after a hefty diagnosis bill they were 100% Sure I needed a new injector pump so I replaced it and the same thing happened. I then took it to a car computer / auto electrition guy who found a short in the timing control valve circuit which had fried something in the computer. he had fixed all that but the same thing kept happening Then after reading a forum and a whole lot of other research he thought it was injector pump internal pressure as another guy had pretty much the same symptoms. Another injector pump later and alot of depression the same things happening. But when he had it he hooked a wee light up near tcv plug the tcv is meant to pulse when running which makes the light pulse obviously but nothing's pulsing and depressions intensifying. I was picking my brain the other day and unplugged the crank position sensor and kicked her over and she sounds runs like a dream the light starts pulsing like it should. But engine light is on as soon as you start it though and you get a code 12 crank position sensor/ circuit etc I'm lost and sick of spending money with no results. Thank you for your time.
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Re: Hilux needs help please help

Post by Thabogrobler »

Hi Jason,

Welcome to the forum!

We know the Kzn165 series well enough but please tell what engine do you run! 1Kz? And the pump? Electric or manual?

I am not too familiar with electrics but by the sound of it you have to replace the crank position sensor?

Regards
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Jason nz
Town: Taupo
Vehicle: 2001 sr5 Toyota hilux 4x4

Post by Jason nz »

Hey buddy yeah it's a 1kzte with E12 manual pump. I've tried two different sensors now with no luck
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

I don't understand why or how you get error codes if you run a manual pump?

Overhere trucks with manual pumps had no elecyrickery in the form or diagnoativs, afaik.
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.

Return to “The Workshop”