4Y Alternator

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Harkerville WC
Vehicle: 1990 Hilux 4Y

4Y Alternator

Post by dax021 »

Hi, anyone have the part number for a 4Y alternator please? Mine has been a bit loose lately and out of pure laziness to remove the skid plate, I left it too long and one of the mounting "ears" has now broken off. The sparky says it can probably be welded back on, but he would have to first strip the alt to prevent damage to the wiring. I want to compare prices, new vs repair, if the difference is not too great, I'd rather just get a new one, preferably one that puts out a few more amps, like 70ish. Comments would be appreciated, thanks.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: 4Y Alternator

Post by Mud Dog »

Should still be available. Phone a dealership for the part number and then try Diesel Electric, Midas and Autozone. Diesel Electric will probably carry Lucas Bosch but the others will have pirate knock-offs.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by dax021 »

Thanks Andy. Any thoughts on the reliability of the "pirate" versions. I see a place in Jnb, Boss Auto (or something like that) sells a 60A version for R890, excl postage.. I thought that sounded pretty reasonable.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Some of the pirate versions are fairly decent but it's a chance you take because there's such a variance in quality. That price sounds about right.

Was just thinking ..... one was able to get parts for the original but don't know about the body or "end caps". Worth a phone call to Diesel Electric. After all, I doubt you're the first person to have a broken mounting lug. Maybe try that first, then get a cost of welding as opposed to pirate replacement. :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by dax021 »

Thanks, that's the plan. Only problem with living in Plett is that other than 3 Midas type stores, there is nowhere to buy car parts. There is a Toyota stealership in Knysna, but then it's George for any fancy parts. At least the sparky managed to boppa it so that it is charging. Once I get a gap, I'll go to George on the bike and see what I can find

Return to “The Workshop”