Oil inside the Intake manifold

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Toyota KZ-TE
Town: Caledon
Vehicle: Toyota

Oil inside the Intake manifold

Post by Toyota KZ-TE »

Hi everyone my kzte 3.0 is using oil and have a power loss so, i asked on hilux4x4 what my problem could be and the one guy said it could be the top or the turbo. So i decided to begin by the turbo as it is less work and more cheaper than to start by the top. And the top was replaced 2 years ago, So i took the turbo of and saw there was oil from the turbo to intake manifold , so i read on the internet that its normal for a little bit of oil to be there is that true or false. But since the turbo is out would you guys recommend that the turbo be redone while its out

Thank you

regards Johan
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Oil inside the Intake manifold

Post by Mud Dog »

That was me, Johan, and yes, a small amount of oil (very light coating) can be considered as being normal on an older motor. If it's more than a light amount, then I would say have the turbo done while it's out.

Let me also say that I'm not a mechie, but that I have looked after and maintained my own vehicles for the past 40 plus years (I'm starting to get a bit lazy in my older years). I have a fair mechanical knowledge and have never owned or worked on diesels but understand them fairly well. I say this so that you can weigh up my advice against what you might hear from someone else.

My advice to you was in light of the unusual oil consumption you are experiencing and as I said previously, the turbo seals was one of the possibilities. I still believe that's the most likely suspect. I'm not entirely convinced that this will be the only reason for the power loss but you might be lucky and find that the power is significantly improved after having the turbo done. (I would also try cleaning the injectors with a fuel additive). Otherwise you might have to look at taking the injectors out and having those checked, serviced and calibrated as well. (I assume that you have been replacing the diesel filters regularly as per service interval recommendations). If you're still down on power after that then I think the next step would be to look at the diesel pump, but that's one of the last things to my mind.

The thing I understand about diesels is that they are generally reliable and low maintenance until they get old. Then they start costing a lot to maintain / repair. It's one of the main reasons why I'm not a diesel fan and prefer petrol engines.

Hope the turbo overhaul solves your problems.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Toyota KZ-TE

Mud Dog

Post by Toyota KZ-TE »

Hey thank you verry much i appreciate your opinion and its sounds like you know your way around cars have a great day further

Regards johan
Toyota KZ-TE

Post by Toyota KZ-TE »

Yes the bakkie went in for he's service every 10000kms
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

:thumbup: No probs. Let us know how you progress and what your experiences are along the way. Always nice to have feedback and I'm sure it will help someone else somewhere along the line. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Die$eL
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Midrand
Vehicle: 06' Hilux 3.0 D4D 4X4

Post by Die$eL »

Welcome to the forum.

Wiggle the turbo shaft and check for any play. Also look for scoring on the inside of the housing.
If there is a fair amount of oil then I suggest you send it in for the seals. The turbo shop will advise on whether anything else needs to be done. If you in GP I suggest you chat to Gabby at Fastec. Very friendly and knowledgeable guy.

I agree with Mud Dog on injectors and diesel pump.
Pop in a bottle of Wynns Diesel Injector Cleaner on a 1/4 tank of fuel and take it for a nice highway cruise to clean out the injectors. Its the easiest and cheapest thing to start with. (Make sure its the Diesel one and not petrol)

I'm not sure on the KZTE but on the D4D the diesel filter sits in a housing. What the dealers do is open it, drain the fuel and fill it with injector cleaner and run the vehicle for a while. Its a concentrated injector cleaner fix.

Oh, and replace the diesel filter if you have not already done so.

Does the vehicle smoke?
Real drivers use three pedals

Return to “The Workshop”