Toyota hilux KZ-TE 3.0 01

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Toyota KZ-TE
Town: Caledon
Vehicle: Toyota

Toyota hilux KZ-TE 3.0 01

Post by Toyota KZ-TE »

Good evening, so my toyota hilux KZ-TE 3.0 is using oil and is loosing power, and you can feel it especially going uphill the power loss and its empty not carrying any load just the driver and one passenger even a truck overtakes me uphill,
does anyone have any suggestions where to start looking for the problem any opinions on what could cuase this.

Thank you

Johan
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Toyota hilux KZ-TE 3.0 01

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi and welcome to the forum, Johan. :thumbup:

If you're using oil, it's either leaking out and then you would see evidence of that where the vehicle gets parked. Otherwise it's getting burned and there's a couple of possibilities .... worn rings / worn valve stem seals / cracked head / worn turbo shaft seals.

If it's a cracked head which is a common problem with the KZ motor, especially if it has worked hard, If such a crack is between an oil gallery and the water jacket you would see it in the radiator coolant which will have a 'creamy' grey or light brown sludge on the surface. If a crack allows oil into the combustion chamber, it will burn off as smoke through the exhaust. The same will happen with worn piston rings or worn valve stem seals. A cracked head or worn rings can be responsible for less than ideal compression and thus cause a loss in power, so those are areas that will need scrutiny.

The other likely culprit is the turbo. If those shaft seals are leaking oil, it's going to get burned .... if on the inlet side the leaking oil gets sucked through the motor or if on the exhaust side, burned by the hot exhaust gasses. The burning of oil through the motor creates extra soot which fouls up the turbo resulting in poor turbo performance and hence loss of power.

Bad injector calibration / dirty injectors can also result in power loss, and although not to be ruled out, this may be a lesser possibility of the problem in your case due to the oil consumption (assuming that both problems manifested in the same time frame).

I would start with checking the turbo .... less invasive and less work. Remove it and look into the inlet and exhaust ports. Inlet should be pretty clean but if it's oily then the seal is leaking. The exhaust side should have a fine layer of soot but if it's caked, then there's a problem .... oil burning through the motor for possible reasons given above. Dry caking indicated that it's not the turbo shaft seal on that side (there are two sets of seals, inlet side and exhaust side). Wet caking (oily) means that oil is being burned through the motor and the turbo shaft seal is leaking.

My suspicions are that it's more likely to be head related. If that's the case, then replace the head with an AMC head rather than the OEM Toyota one .... much more robust head and quite a bit cheaper.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Toyota KZ-TE
Town: Caledon
Vehicle: Toyota

Re: Mud Dog

Post by Toyota KZ-TE »

Hi Mud Dog thank you verry much for the reply i appreciate it. The thing is that about 2 years ago the head was replaced but unfortunately it was replaced with a OEM Toyota head. And they replaced the rings and they drilled the cleaves bit bigger and replaced the seal's, So i would definitely first have a look at the turbo. Ones again thank you for your reply
Regards Johan

Return to “The Workshop”