Cleaning of Throttle Bodies on Electrically Injected Engines

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Stallion
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Dar Es Salaam
Vehicle: Hilux Raider YN67R, South African Specification

Cleaning of Throttle Bodies on Electrically Injected Engines

Post by Stallion »

Good Evening to you all,

I hope all well at your ends by the Grace of the Almighty.

Today i refer to the above subject matter.

I had a client's Isuzu Bighorn, 3.0L, 4JX1 to work on today at the Workshop.

The vehicle had rough idling and Turbo issues. The Turbo issues were suggested to the client, and that's upon him to decide. Anyway, as for the Rough Idle, i cleaned the Throttle Body and that solved the Rough Idle issue so far.

Now my concern is, i didn't have a Carb Cleaner to use on cleaning the Throttle Body, and hence used Silicone Lubricant Spray instead. Not realizing if Silicone Lubricant Spray was safe to use for cleaning the Throttle Body :oops:

I cleaned by spraying the Silicone Lubricant into the Throttle Body and let it stay that way until the time when i started installing the Intercooler and the hose pipes, that was after about 40 mins.

After installation, i fired her up and the Rough Idling was gone. She idled very smooth and i delivered the vehicle to the Customer this evening, and had no isses idling.

I just want to make sure if Silicone Lubricant was safe for using on cleaning the Throttle Body. I know it dries up fast and doesn't leave any Oily Residues, but i know somehow it shouldn't be used for cleaning MAS Sensor or O2 Sensors, am i right?

Your assistance, advises and suggestions will highly be appreciated.

Regards
Shermohamed
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Cleaning of Throttle Bodies on Electrically Injected Engines

Post by Mud Dog »

It does leave a residue, and it's normally not compatible with fuels. there isn't fuel vapour in the throttle body so you should be ok, but I would rather use carb cleaner, benzine or even paraffin for cleaning (paraffin if you want to leave an oily residue ... if you have a sticky butterfly the paraffin should free it up, otherwise a bit of regular oil. A valve-ease fuel additive also works well for that (I mean that as being applied manually and not added the to fuel).

Cleaning of MAF and O2 sensors should be done very carefully, especially the MAF. Aerosol carb cleaner or aerosol benzine work well for that .... no residue and the force of the spray usually dislodges any dirt / fouling. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Stallion
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Dar Es Salaam
Vehicle: Hilux Raider YN67R, South African Specification

Post by Stallion »

Good Evening Andy,

Thank you very much for your swift response to my query on cleaning of the Throttle Body. Noted and will keep in mind.

Sincerely appreciate your guidance.

Regards
Shermohamed
dalkill
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Cape TOwn
Vehicle: 2.4 GD6 SR D/C 4x4

Post by dalkill »

I'm thinking of cleaning the MAF sensor on my wife's 2008 yaris, and my dad 2005 140i corolla.
Both seem to be suffering from same problem... on pull away, the engine just wants to stall. Now i know it's not me being a learner driver :D:

Over all my years of driving, i've just experienced this with a couple of vehicles. The two above and my fav 1992 corolla twincam, first gen injector corollas.
All these vehicles, i have to rev higher than i would normally to not stall on normal pull away - you know not like i'm chasing the next robot LOL.

I read on 4x4 community that one should only use electrical contact cleaner??

Also could the hilux benefit from a MAF cleaning as well. No symptoms it needs it. I read some experiencing higher / lower than normal revs after cleaning. So is it a case of let sleeping dogs lay?
2016 2.4GD6 SR D/C 4x4 (Oct 2022 - current) (Buraaq VI)
2007 d4d 3.0 D/C 4x4 (Mar 2016 - July 2022) (Buraaq V)
2003 Isuzu KB300 D/C 4x4 (May 2015 - Feb 2016) aka Buraaq IV
2000 hilux DC 2.7 4x4 (Jul 2011 - Sep 2012) aka Buraaq III
1999 RXI 20v (Nov 2009 - Jul 2011) aka Quicksilver
1990 hilux DC 2.2 4x4 (Jun 2008 - Jul 2011) aka Buraaq II
1997 corolla 160i GLE (Feb 2007 - Sep 2009) aka Green Goblin
1990 GLI twincam (still my fav rolla) (Oct 2005 - Mar 2007) aka Wit Blitz
Golf GTI 2.0 (temp insanity for 2months) (Jun 2005 - Aug 2005) aka A mistake
1993 hilux SC 2.2 4x4 (April 2003 - Sept 2005) aka Buraaq

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Shaakir wrote:Both seem to be suffering from same problem... on pull away, the engine just wants to stall. Now i know it's not me being a learner driver.
This seems to be a common thing with the Yaris, Corrolla and Rav of that era. Don't think that cleaning the MAF will make any difference ... it didn't for me. Something you can try is to disconnect the battery for a few minutes and the ECU will re-set after re-connecting. Problem is that as it 'learns' and adjusts to your driving style, the problem comes back.

It's like the response to the load of pulling off at low revs is too slow and it stalls.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
dalkill

Post by dalkill »

Eish... i was hoping it just a easy fix like cleaning maf sensor.

I also agree, it's as if the ECU takes a second to register the load before adjusting fuel, and by then revs too low and you left looking like noob behind the wheel. I think both those vehicles are underpowered. Yaris engine just generally pap, and corolla body too big for that 1400 engine.

I'll try the battery trick. Something like unteaching an old dog , old tricks :D:

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

It does it with the 2 lit motor as well.

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

I think it's more an ECU thing ......

pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Nowadays you get special MAF sensor cleaners, our Autozone sells some.
I've always usued carb cleaner until I saw these at Autozone.
Used the MAF sensor cleaner the last time. Cannot say that it makes a difference.
https://ggstore.co.za/product/crc-senso ... 1wtoz-325/

A couple of years ago I had a 2010 , 1800 Corolla dual vvti and even that Corolla did it, you easily stall it when pulling away on low rpm, must always rev it a bit.
Maybe the problem is that you get used to a torqie motor and when you get into a Yaris or Corolla you think something is wrong.

I also had a 1000cc Aygo and that had the same thing, always revved to about 1200 or 1300 before you can pull away. Once they get going they good.
The 1000cc Aygo has remarcably high torque for such a small motor but even that torque also only starts above about 1200 rpm.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Tristin
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: East london
Vehicle: Toyota hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC359

Post by Tristin »

Evening gents
I've heard of the battery trick ,but somehow can cause a headache. I recently bought a 2011 toyota yaris 1.3,every time the battery is disconnected it resets the ecu as it should. Trying to start the vehicle after this is a pain,it engages the starter even thou the car has started.The car then has to go to agents to be "recalibrated".I have heard this is a common problem when disconnecting the battery.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

That's something new to me Tristin, Is it keyless starting?

Tristin
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Tristin »

Hi Andy no it isn't but if you turn the key to start postion and release it straight away,the car will crank on it's own until it has started. In other words you do not need to hold the key at the starting postion to start the car.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

That's a bummer ..... That means every time you have to disconnect the battery like when working on the electricals or just disconnecting if going away for a period of time, you have to go to the agents to have it re-set.

Eish! :shock:

Tristin
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Tristin »

Agreed andy bit of a pain in the backside
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Maybe do a search on Yaris forums ... could be that there's a way to reset this yourself ..... like turn the key to ignition for 3 secs and turn off and back on after one second and then put on the left indicator while pressing on the brake pedal, still holding the brake turn the overhead light on and with your free foot open the passenger door. Now with your legs spread, you can scratch your alllie to relieve that pain in the backside .... (no more than 2 seconds otherwise it's perverted). :tease:

dalkill

Post by dalkill »

:taunt: :taunt:

Is that from the official manual Oom Andy ??

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Of course! :D: :tongue:

Return to “The Workshop”