Diesel Knock - stalling

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Tonyhilux
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: dublin
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0

Diesel Knock - stalling

Post by Tonyhilux »

Hi all.
I have a Toyota Hilux (vigo) 2006 Model .Automatic.

I am new to this forum and im not sure if this topic has been raised before so if so apologies ,

I bought my Hilux about 2 years ago and I had noticed early on that when the fuel tank was down to a quarter of a tank of fuel left it started to give a diesel knock and began cutting out, when I would top it up with fuel it would run fine again, over the past two years t did seem to get worse with time, my brother who is a mechanic had a look at it , it turned out it had leaky injectors , all four were replaced, & coded , but yet the dreaded diesel knock never went away , its seems to be worse when it down on lower RPMs and not always but sometimes ends up stalling and cutting out, while driving it at higher RPMs its seems ok its really effected when I take my foot up of accelerator and the RPMs drop, I have changed the fuel filter and when doing so had notices it was in pretty bad shape, none of what has been done so far has improved it ,there is 220000 on the clock. I should also mention we had it on the jeep hooked up to a computer while coding injectors and there was no faults showing up with the jeep.We also drove the jeep with the computer on it and when it gave the diesel knock and cut out , no faults showed up, no engine warning light or fuel light came on,

I have been thinking it my be a fuel tank issue .. anyone have any ideas?
Any help would be appreciated Cheers guys T:)
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Re: Diesel Knock - stalling

Post by pietpetoors »

Did you clean / rinse the fuel tank?
Maybe you have water in the fuel tank ?

Try Wurth's Diesel cure.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I'm also leaning towards a fuel issue .... you're probably filling the Jeep at the same filling station. Could be that they have contamination in their u/ground tank. The Wurth's Diesel Cure might sort it out, otherwise remove, drain and flush the tank and fill from a clean source. Hope that's all it is.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Tonyhilux
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Tonyhilux »

Hey guys
thanks for your response , no i havent done anything with the fuel thank as of yet but i am thinking it is the next port of call, the only reason why i havent up to now was the fuel primer pump is always full of fuel but just assumed if it was, that it was coming via the fuel thank , but when thinking of contaminants it would make sense to take out the fuel tank and give it a good old clean out ,

great forum here to run ideas by folks :)
Tonyhilux
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Tonyhilux »

So I took the fuel pipe that feeds the engine of the primer and put a supple on from a Jerry can and attached a pipe onto the primer to catch the fuel coming from the primer .. a coke cola type fuel came from the primer ,.. Iv shown this to the mechanic and he think the high pressure fuel pump is faulty .. I’m still thinking contaminated fuel tank ..
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Dark / black fuel suggests contamination. I would drain / flush the tanks before anything else and replace the fuel filters again so that you start clean. After that you can look at the pump if the problem continues but personally doubt that's where the problem lies.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Tonyhilux
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Tonyhilux »

Thanks guys .. removed tank and it had basically jelly fish living in the tank and sender, all cleaned out and flung in a diesel cure just to assure everything is cleaned .. running sweet ! Thanks !
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Glad to hear. :thumbup:

Tonyhilux
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Tonyhilux »

SO it ran smooth enough for the day, but now seems to be cutting out, like its ran out of fuel, i get out, pump the primer and it goes again for another few mins, and again same process, get out n prime it,
not sure , but would it be air locked? I had primed it until it was solid, but each time i got out the p[rime button was soft again and took a few pumps to get solid again... any ideas?
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

There could be some of that gunk which you found in the tank still lodged in the fuel supply pipe? Is the filter clean? :think:

Return to “The Workshop”