Easy CV joint/drive shaft Test

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
drew3
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Tuli Block
Vehicle: '01 Toyota Hilux 4x4 Raider 2.7i DC

Easy CV joint/drive shaft Test

Post by drew3 »

Hi all,

Looking for a simple diagnostic test for CV drive shaft? It was recommended to me by toyota after a service that I refurb my front right drive shaft but for the life of me cannot find/feel/see/hear an issue... so wondering if the mechanics buddy is not the refurb shop they recommended...

Vehicle has only just passed 220k now, and most tell me its highly unlikely the CV's would need to be replaced with so few kilometers, however the vehicle is almost 20 years old.

I have jacked the vehicle up, locked the hubs in 2H, and turned the wheels as a test to try see movement or hear clicking/clunking in the CV themselves, but only pick up a thud at the front diff. I obviously cannot see through the rubber covers though. Really dont want to pull it all off for no reason.

I know the characteristic clunk-clunk-clack of a dying CV while driving and turning but experience none of that - although I did a handful of times, a few years ago, when at full lock moving slowly over a bump or dip but not since.

Interested in any feedback thanks.
2001 Hilux 4x4 Raider 2.7i DC
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Easy CV joint/drive shaft Test

Post by Mud Dog »

There will always be a little back-lash in the diff, so if that's the only place you're hearing anything I wouldn't worry about it at all.

The CV's will let you know when there's a problem ... they will start clicking on turns long before they give out and in many cases a little more life can be squeezed out of them but stripping, cleaning and re-packing with the correct grease.
You wrote:although I did a handful of times, a few years ago, when at full lock moving slowly over a bump or dip but not since
This can be considered acceptable, ... at full lock with the suspension extended the CV's will be at the very limits of their operating angles.

The CV's on a 4x4 should theoretically have a longer lifespan than those on a front wheel drive vehicle. If you have free-wheel hubs, then they're only turning when the hubs are locked which in most cases is a very low single digit percentage of overall mileage.

One of the most important things to keep an eye out for is any damage to the rubber CV boot.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

I'm with Mud on this.

Maybe you should have asked the mechanic to demonstrate why he recommends a recon?

The front cv's on part time 4x4's tend to outlast the vehicle.
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
drew3
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by drew3 »

Mud Dog wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:12 pm There will always be a little back-lash in the diff, so if that's the only place you're hearing anything I wouldn't worry about it at all.

The CV's will let you know when there's a problem ... they will start clicking on turns long before they give out and in many cases a little more life can be squeezed out of them but stripping, cleaning and re-packing with the correct grease.
You wrote:although I did a handful of times, a few years ago, when at full lock moving slowly over a bump or dip but not since
This can be considered acceptable, ... at full lock with the suspension extended the CV's will be at the very limits of their operating angles.

The CV's on a 4x4 should theoretically have a longer lifespan than those on a front wheel drive vehicle. If you have free-wheel hubs, then they're only turning when the hubs are locked which in most cases is a very low single digit percentage of overall mileage.

One of the most important things to keep an eye out for is any damage to the rubber CV boot.
Thanks Mud,

Always appreciate your input on the forum. Amd Merry Xmas.

I do more than average I would say in terms of locking the front hubs in 4H. I do about 200km a month on bad dirt track. Regardless I think, as you suggest, will only start worrying when and if I start hearing that clicking. Cheers!
drew3
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by drew3 »

Thabogrobler wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:42 pm I'm with Mud on this.

Maybe you should have asked the mechanic to demonstrate why he recommends a recon?

The front cv's on part time 4x4's tend to outlast the vehicle.
Thanks Thabo,

Unfortunately did not have that opportunity to talk to the mechanic on the day, but yes that would have been first prize. Merry Xmas.

Return to “The Workshop”