Old Man Emu leaf spring noise

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Ahari
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Hillcrest KZN
Vehicle: 98 Hilux 2.4i LTD SFA 4x4 DC, OME, LR tank

Old Man Emu leaf spring noise

Post by Ahari »

I have a SFA Hilux with Old Man Emu suspension. Most times when I turn a corner there is a clonk noise from the suspension and it's driving me nuts!! Apparently this is fairly common!?

After much Googling and a lot of thought I think I have narrowed it down to 2 possible causes: 1 - Loose sleeves in the spring eyes and 2 - Spring leaves moving about

1) The sleeves in the eyes at the end of the leaf springs are loose in the eyes. I can take them out with my fingers! I'm sure these are supposed to be a press fit. The bushes that fit inside the sleeves have a shoulder on them that barely extends past the diameter of the sleeves. When there is any lateral force on the springs, the sleeves (and bushes) just slide about and the spring contacts the spring mounts or shackles making a noise! Apparently this only affects the earlier Old Man Emu spring sets - apparently it has been solved in the new ones (couldn't fit out how it was fixed for the new springs though!)

I have found 2 possible solutions to this problem -
a) Tack weld the sleeves to the spring as shown here: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/old-ma ... t-11060129 or
b) Clamp the sleeve slightly oval so it grips better in the eye and if it still moves a bit to use a punch to "stake" it into the spring, the best location being right where the main leaf eye terminates as there is a small gap there (from http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/tech_O ... _tech.html)

The local OME agent workshop manager confirms that he spot welds the sleeves in place as well. I am concerned about any welding on a spring though!! Maybe a spot weld at the end of the eye?

2) The spring leaves moving about causing the clunk noise. Apparently the leaf packs can get loose and dirt can get in between the leaves causing them to bind a bit and then come loose with a clunk. Fixes range from greasing between the springs regularly to replacing the rubber or plastic "spacers" between the springs leaves to removing worn rubber clip liners on the spring retainer clamps with new or by welding a piece of steel on the clamps to replace the rubber (https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/old-ma ... t-10565018)

I am at a bit of a loss as to what to do and any help or comments are welcome!

Thanks in advance
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Old Man Emu leaf spring noise

Post by Mud Dog »

I personally wouldn't weld on the spring material .... the heat will result in some annealing taking place .... not desirable.

Rather close / tighten up the clamps around the blades as best you can (you can use a decent G-clamp and vice grip for this to do it in situ or remove the leaf packs and do it on the bench). Also lubricate between the blades, either with a dry lubricant or grease, but grease holds dirt and can become a grinding paste.

If using grease, one needs to periodically clean it out by taking the load off the pack so that the leaves separate or can be wedged apart, spray with paraffin and then with degreaser and high pressure washer. Re-grease afterwards. Another solution is to get some old motorcycle tubes, cut to size and slip them over each side of the pack .... you have to release each end to get them over. Then use cable ties to close off the ends of each section of tubing. Sounds tedious but saves a lot of maintenance over time .... can last up to 5 years before needing to be redone.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Ahari
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Ahari »

Thanks for your input. I have already triple tacked the sleeves on the one side (following advice from the local OME agents), but am feeling like I should rather use a punch on the other side or just one tack at the end of the eye.

I will try your idea of just tightening up the clamps as well as lubricating and cleaning the springs. I think I will leave the springs bare as I like to be able to inspect them easily although your idea with the tubes is very clever.
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

OME should have teflon sliders between the blades, but these wear down or become rough and don't slide as they should, so unfortunately some form of lubrication is necessary. A dry lube like graphite is great, but enough doesn't stay in there for too long and it soon becomes very ineffective. If you don't want to use grease you can use old motor oil but it doesn't last as long as grease and can drip messily immediately after each time you do it.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Ahari
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Ahari »

Thanks. I will try with a good clean followed by motorbike chain wax which is not sticky and quite slippery and see if that works.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Sounds like a plan. Let us know in few months how it goes .... might just be a better option than grease. :thumbup:

Return to “The Workshop”