Can I weld a loose shackle?

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Ahari
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Hillcrest KZN
Vehicle: 98 Hilux 2.4i LTD SFA 4x4 DC, OME, LR tank

Can I weld a loose shackle?

Post by Ahari »

I hope someone can shed some light here.

I have an Old Man Emu suspension system in my SFA Hilux and the OME press fit shackle pins are loose in the plates. I want to just weld them in place, but don't want to damage any heat treatments.

Does anyone know if this is okay to do? I don't want to spend a fortune on new shackles if it isn't necessary only to end up with the same problem in a few years time!

The metal does not seem to be hardened as a file easily takes metal off and a centre punch makes a mark as easily as it does in mild steel.

Any comments are welcome!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Can I weld a loose shackle?

Post by Mud Dog »

Yes you can weld them on the outer side. Be sure to get decent weld penetration and don't grind down your welds afterwards. If your welding heat has undercut the steel where the weld bead meets the plate, that's a weak area and it will crack loose there in time - fill that with another bead of lesser heat / penetration.

It's also important that you have the pins properly lined up. You can use a make-shift jig with a piece of wood, preferably as thick as the width of the spring leaves. Clamp the opposite shackle plate (the flat one with the two holes) to the wood and drill holes through the wood of same diameter as the holes in the plate. Use a drill press so that the holes run true (90° angle on all planes). Use that to line up your pins prior and during welding .... the wood will burn a bit but it will hold the pins straight.

Good luck.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Ahari
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Ahari »

Wow! That was fast!!

Thank you for the very helpful response. I feel a lot better about welding the shackles now. Some good tips too!

Unless someone else contradicts what you just said, I'll be outside setting up my welder! :)

Thank you so much!!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

The shackle plates and pins are of a higher grade than ordinary mild steel, but can be welded without compromise .... how else do they do it in the factory. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Ahari
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Ahari »

These are press fitted in the factory (OME) and that is why I was cautious

Return to “The Workshop”