CV replacement options

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
drew3
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Tuli Block
Vehicle: '01 Toyota Hilux 4x4 Raider 2.7i DC

CV replacement options

Post by drew3 »

Morning,

After the 220k service on my Hilux its been recommended that I replace/refurb my front right drive (CV) shaft. Toyota quoted me 5k to have it refurbished? Anyway, I want to just replace the whole thing and do the work myself. I have been looking at non-dealer replacement options and they seem to vary massively in price.

I have been quoted close to 13k from N1 4x4 which I hope is a mistake, and 1k from Gemini. Autozone yet to get back to me. Not sure where else to ask? Unfortunately I have not got a response in terms of brand name so cannot research quality.

Does anyone have any leads on brand options? More importantly, do the cheaper (1K Gemini) options last?
2001 Hilux 4x4 Raider 2.7i DC
Bear
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2200 Raider D/Cab 4x4 - SFA

Re: CV replacement options

Post by Bear »

Good morning Drew

Don’t let the price of Gemini discourage you from the purchase. These days the steep price of things does not ensure quality, it is just to subsidize the lavish lifestyles and greed of the business owners. Toyota themselves sell pirate parts.

Gemini do their own imports from Dubai, etc. There spares are of good quality.
Travel is not really about leaving our homes, but leaving our habits.
Adventure tends to magnify all human emotions.
It's only in adventure that some people succeed in knowing themselves - in finding themselves.
Dirka
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Doornpoort Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 4X4 Auto DC

Post by Dirka »

Here also never had any problems with Gemini parts before. Many of their parts are OEM spec.
U can buy with confidence.
I got arrested for driving naked. I guess I shouldn’t have put four wheels, an engine, and a steering wheel on my bathtub.
I’m a do-it-yourself kind of lover.
” ― J. Kintz
drew3
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Tuli Block
Vehicle: '01 Toyota Hilux 4x4 Raider 2.7i DC

Post by drew3 »

Thanks for the feedback. After a back and forth have now been quoted 1.5k for a complete CV driveshaft. Considering doing both since I dont know the history of the vehicle.

Also considering doing the wheel bearings while I'm pulling everything apart. Anything else I should consider replacing/doing? Vehicles just passed 220K.
2001 Hilux 4x4 Raider 2.7i DC
louis fourie
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2003 Hilux Raider Facelift D/C 3.0 KZTE
Club VHF Licence: X101

Post by louis fourie »

I bought mine from Goldwagen

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Bear
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2200 Raider D/Cab 4x4 - SFA

Post by Bear »

If you don't know the history of the vehicle, it will be good to drop all the oils and replenish with the correct spec as per the manual.

The agents are using incorrect spec oils. One type of oil for ALL vehicles! They also use general purpose grease for ALL applications.
Travel is not really about leaving our homes, but leaving our habits.
Adventure tends to magnify all human emotions.
It's only in adventure that some people succeed in knowing themselves - in finding themselves.

Return to “The Workshop”