22R Fast Idle Screw

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Tim86
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux

22R Fast Idle Screw

Post by Tim86 »

Chaps

My motor revs at approximately 2300 rpm upon cold startup.
Choke works and the step down cam system works - as the motor & choke coil heat up, over time the revs step down in three phases to idle speed (Brospeed - 950rpm) with a few helping taps on the pedal.
Idle speed screw is present (not visible in photo) and the aircon idle-up screw is present although unused as no aircon, and vacuum diaphragm has been blocked off. The aircon idle-up screw does not make contact at any time in the warm up process.

Here are two pics of the rear of my carb:
IMG_20190831_162448.jpg
IMG_20190831_162451.jpg
To be compared to a picture pulled of Yotatech website:
Inkedidle screw_LI.jpg
It appears that I do not have a fast idle adjustment screw.
I cannot even see a threaded hole from which it may have fallen out.
A fast idle screw is shown on the 4Runner manual available on this site.

Do South African models not have this screw and if so how do you regulate the fast idle?

Many Thanks
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Re: 22R Fast Idle Screw

Post by Mars »

I am not 100% familiar with that carburettor. Normally there is an adjustment screw resting on the three stage cam that you can back out to reduce the idling speed if it is too high.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Yes, SA models have the air screw ... just placed differently. I highlighted it in your pic.
IMG_20190831_162448.jpg
IMG_20190831_162448.jpg (41.75 KiB) Viewed 3158 times
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Tim86
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Tim86 »

Hi Andy

As I understand it the air screw is different to the fast idle screw.
American 22R's have their air screw in the same place as ours except hidden behind a plug to be drilled out (due to smog regs). This is indicated on the Yotatech pic.
I cannot fathom how to reduce the fast idle on mine, maybe a bendable tab? As Marnus says usually there is a screw on the cam, also as shown on the Yotatech pic.
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

This is your idle adjustment screw (red circle) ....
IMG_20190831_162448.jpg
IMG_20190831_162448.jpg (42.14 KiB) Viewed 3147 times
It could also be that the throttle butterfly is sticking and not returning fully to the stop provided by that screw. You say the air-con idle-up is disconnected but I would also have another careful look to see that it is not interfering with the return of the throttle. :winkx:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Mars
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

+1
Tim86
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Tim86 »

Andy I believe that is the aircon idle up screw (A/C throttle up screw in yota pic), nonetheless I will take the carb off in due course for a proper inspection as it is impossible to see what's going on when mounted.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

No, it's the throttle / idle screw ..... the A/C idle up opens the throttle a tiny fraction by way of that diaphragm unit and a slotted link arm (it only comes into play when the A/C is on and the motor is idling).

Bear
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2200 Raider D/Cab 4x4 - SFA

Post by Bear »

It could also be that the throttle butterfly is sticking and not returning fully to the stop provided by that screw. You say the air-con idle-up is disconnected but I would also have another careful look to see that it is not interfering with the return of the throttle. :winkx:
[/quote]

Would you know if the 4Y Niki carb has the aircon idle up as well?
When I engage the aircon at idle which is 850 rpm, it drops to 650 rpm.
Travel is not really about leaving our homes, but leaving our habits.
Adventure tends to magnify all human emotions.
It's only in adventure that some people succeed in knowing themselves - in finding themselves.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Yes. The 4Y should have the idle up as well.

Bear
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Bear »

Is it electronic or a manual adjustment?
It's only in adventure that some people succeed in knowing themselves - in finding themselves.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

As I recall it electrically operates a VSV (when the compressor kicks in) which in turn supplies vacuum to the diaphragm unit and that there as a mechanical adjustment at the diaphragm unit.

GTO
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Fish Hoek
Vehicle: 2002 2700i 4x4 DC ; 1995 2.4 SRX

Post by GTO »

Mine used to idle high when on choke as well but once the carb was rebuilt(first rebuild) 2 years ago at 300000km it now idles around 1100 rpm whilst on choke.
My carb was running very lean due to worn butterfly and shaft.
Also rebuild solved my pinging problem that I had for years, which was obviously due to the lean fuel mixture.
Only thing is after the rebuilt I lost about a1km per litre in fuel consumption! :thumbdown:
What is the condition of your carb?
2002 Hilux 2700i 4x4 DC(facelift)
1995 Hilux 2.4 SRX Raider(4x2) Still my favourite!
1985 Suzuki DR600S
1984 Honda ATC200ES BIG RED
GTO
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by GTO »

You guys talk about an aircon up screw, mine has always just idled lower when the compressor cycles, I was under the impression it was due to fact that on the 2.4SRX model it was due to the fact that aircon was an optional extra when buying new and the unit is a Dunair system that was factory fitted if the buyer requested it. An aircon repair guy fitted a vacuum switch for me years ago which raised the idling when the compressor was cycling but it has long since packed up, I never bothered to get a new one fitted.
1985 Suzuki DR600S
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

You can get by without the idle-up for the a/con .... normal idle should be about 800 / 900 rpm but you can push it up a bit to compensate. I would suggest 1000rpm will do the trick. Just don't use the a/c when doing slow obstacleswhere low rev torque is needed, and with town driving on pull offs, allow the revs to climb a little off the idle before releasing the clutch (especially on inclines).

That said, it's still better to have a functional idle-up for the a/c. :winkx:

Bear
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Bear »

Ten weeks ago I had the carb overhauled at S.P Carbs. It cost me R850.00. They seem to do a good job, however I am a perfectionist and I believe if new parts are put in the vehicle and done properly it should perform like the day it came out the factory. We kind of lack these perfectionist mechanics who do things with a passion. Now days it is all about business. As long as the vehicle runs ok they are satisfied. I had to take my vehicle back to them as you may recall I had a problem with the fuel level in the glass as it was draining out overnight. They changed the needle valve but it stills drains a little now over the week while parked. They set the choke to run at 2200 rpm which they brought down to 1800 rpm after I complained. I finally adjusted the screw on the choke cam myself to bring it to 1300 rpm. They offer a three month guarantee which they are very proud to say. My point to them was that I live far from them and it costs me in fuel and I have to take time off from work for them to rectify the faults. I will have to take it back to them to check the air-con idle up now.
Thanks for the advise.
GTO
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by GTO »

Mine was done by Carburettor Sales & Services in Paarden Eiland but was around about R 2200 to overhaul if I recall.
Their service was very good, only thing I noticed was that the fuel level in the sight glass was the same as before they overhauled the carb which was much higher(almost near the top of the glass) then halfway mark on the glass(which is where the manual says it should be) they said I don't have too worry about it being higher than half way?
I tried bending the tap on the float to get it closer to half way myself, and the bakkie seemed to run okay until I tried too climb Boyes Drive in Kalk Bay and got serious fuel starvation, so I bent it back.

The other thing they said someone had been in the carb before and showed me the old main jet which had a bit of screw driver damage to it.
Which is weird as I am the second owner, first owner is a family friend who only had it serviced by Toyota and only did 44000km in 7 years when he owned it! :shock2:

Also they had to drill the plug out to get to the air screw on my carb.
1985 Suzuki DR600S

Return to “The Workshop”