Hilux D4D limp mode - NO engine light

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
jdreyer77
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux

Hilux D4D limp mode - NO engine light

Post by jdreyer77 »

Hi there,

I had my fair share in the past with the limp mode problems but this one is baffling. I used to have DieselTorque chip and the bakkie ran 100% fine with this. About a year ago it suddenly started with the limp mode problem and engine light comes on. Removed the chipped (as this is 99% the culprit) and the problem remained, did a remap and the problem remained with various reasons when running diagnostics, Cam sensor, Fuel sensor, EGU etc etc. Took 2 similar bakkies and started swapping sensors between, problem remained. Finally replaced the ECU. The new ECU however was not the same, according to the remapping guys as it did not have all the settings they can usually adjust, their opinion was it looked like a default unit that has not had any Toyota upgrades done.
Long story short, remapped and was running fine however when the bakkie runs over 3200 rpm and taking strain either being a hill or towing (overtaking) it goes into limp mode, but NO engine light and no fault code on the diagnostics. Also previously with limp mode you can switch off and on and the problem is sorted. This limp mode you have to switch off, remove the key, lock the doors, unlock and start, sometimes you have to repeat this twice.

Removed the remapping and doing the same - so the problem is the same before I initially replaced the ECU, but no fault code. It runs 100% on normal day to day drive, only when pushed over 3200 rpm. Again have swopped parts between similar bakkies, sensors (Fuel, Air, CAM, diesel pump etc etc) but problem remains.

Where do you start without a fault code?

I am thinking the ECU, as recently locking the car is a problem. It will work fine, only not to work the next minute. Replace both keys batteries and the problem remains but very intermittent - this however only started recently and not sure if the ECU plays any role here.

Any ideas are welcome!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Hilux D4D limp mode - NO engine light

Post by Mud Dog »

I'm by no means a fundi on this but ja, I think it's now an ECU problem. Once you fit an after market chip it interferes with the original ECU mapping and it's irreversible, even if the chip is removed.

What I don't understand is that there is still a problem after the ECU has been replaced. Sounds like a sensor that you may perhaps not have swopped out is playing up. Hopefully the guys with more knowledge and experience with ECU's and chips can shed more light.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Jaws
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Sharonlea
Vehicle: 2009 D4D 4x4

Post by Jaws »

Could even the turbo VNT system.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

:thumbup:
Dippies
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Helderkruin
Vehicle: Hilux D-4D

Post by Dippies »

Have a look at your SCV, suction control valve. Have seen a lot of these cause limp mode problems. Having a chip, or remap will aggravate the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

When you say you removed the chip.. did you remove the entire thing, harness and all or did you just plug the bypass chip in? I had the scenario where I asked the guys who installed it to remove the Race Chip I had in. They did it by plugging in the bypass. I never knew this, and the limp mode was better but was still there from time to time. About 3 months later it became progressively worse, and sometimes 4 times in a 10km stretch. After long searching and injector guys looking and testing I asked them to check and see if the chip's wiring harness was removed because of something I read on another forum. Took that out and all the problems disappeared. It has been 3 years now.. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...

Return to “The Workshop”