2000 Hilux mods

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Kenny_b12
Town: Oranjestad
Vehicle: 2000 Toyota Hilux

2000 Hilux mods

Post by Kenny_b12 »

Hey Guys,

I just bought a 2000 toyota hilux, with a 5L diesel engine. I wanted to ask if anyone has any suggestions to make more power out of the 5L engine. cant seem to find anything online. I want to build a off road hilux and it is now fully stock. So what do you think are the first mods to start with.

thank you
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: 2000 Hilux mods

Post by Family_Dog »

Stay FAR away from fitting a Turbo - the head will pop.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Kenny_b12

Post by Kenny_b12 »

Oke, I wasnt planning on fitting a turbo. Yet i dont know much about diesel engines, so i wnted to know what are the things i can do to increase power.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Not much you can do with the 5L motor. They were donkeys for sure, slow but very reliable and long lasting.

If you're not a purist and you want to stick to diesel, I would sell the 5L and replace it with a Ford 2.5lit WL motor. Lighter on fuel and delivers more power and despite it being Ford, it is reputed to be pretty robust. Diesel is a good option for a serious off road vehicle because of the low rev torque typical of diesels, as well as the fact that water doesn't interfere with ignition as it does with petrol motors.

If you want to keep it Toyota, I would suggest the Prado V6 (3.4lit 5VZ motor).

That all said, the motor is one of the last things I would be looking at to build and off roader. First would be suspension that provides a bit of lift and good articulation. Then I'd look a tyres, but here you have to be careful that you don't go too big that the motor and drive-train can't handle them adequately and also that they don't catch on the body, then rock-sliders for protection, a replacement front and rear bumper that reduce weight and improve approach / departure angles - then a rear diff-lock (or front and rear if your budget allows). Don't worry about a winch ..... one rarely ever needs one and most times that you do it's to assist someone else.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

P.S. If you really want to get serious, you'd get an SFA and build that up. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

5L is VERY slow and low on power. WL, Kz, 5VZ, Lexus, etc. all is too expensive for the value of the vehicle and then you have a bastardised vehicle with no secondhand value which is very hard to insure.

Either live with the underpowered engine or sell and buy something more powerful.
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Kenny_b12

Post by Kenny_b12 »

Thanks guys for your input, i think in the long run ill start with the suspension and tires.Im from Aruba. So not a big island. So it doesnt need to be an extreme offroad vehicle. I just want more power for when i need it, so in the end ill go for a different engine.

Return to “The Workshop”