Loud Intermittent Click from engine

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Bef
Town: Dublin
Vehicle: Hilux Invincible 2013 model

Loud Intermittent Click from engine

Post by Bef »

Greetings to one and all from a brand new member who has a 2013 Hilux Invincible with a hiccup and looking for a remedy.
The issue is that after having had the timing belt and pulley wheel changed at 150 000km it came back with engine running great except for one little distinguishable and intermittent loud metallic click. The intervals are about 3 to 5min while running and also once the engine is turned off there are 3 to 4 loud clicks over a period of +- 10min. Took it back to the dealer 3 times but they couldn't identify the type and location of the noise other than saying it could be the variable vanes sticking in the turbo. This is certainly plausible but before I go through the cost of checking something I was hoping someone might have had a similar situation and knowledge. On the off chance I was also wondering if the tensioner piston could be the issue?
I would upload a video clip but the attachment function does not support the file type i.e. MP4, AVI or WMV etc.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Loud Intermittent Click from engine

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome Al :thumbup:

Your problem is a puzzling one and not one that I have heard of before this. (The turbo vanes sound like a possible cause.) Hopefully one of the guys here that are familiar with the diesel models can give some insight. Good luck.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Noises from the engine are incredibly difficult to find if they are intermittent. The first question to pose is if you are certain that the noise was not there before changing the timing belt and if it is not a question of you noticing it now after the service now that you are listening to the engine more critically?

I suppose it is possible that the tensioner piston/damper could make aloud clicking noise but it would need to be worn to the extent that it has no damping/spring effect anymore. I think this is highly unlikely as I have replaced several and all of them were still fine after 150 000 kilometres. Even then it would make a noise while the engine is running but I cannot for the life of me see how that piston can make repeated mechanical clicks after the engine is turned off. It is however very easy to inspect the belt and tensioners as the cover is very easy to remove. The belt should be tight and there should be no movement at all on either the pulley or the piston if you attempt to move it by hand.

My thinking is leaning towards the turbo actuator or possibly the air conditioner pump although the clutch on the aircon pump cannot really make clicking noises if the engine is off and the ignition turned off.
Bef
Town: Dublin
Vehicle: Hilux Invincible 2013 model

Post by Bef »

Mars, thank you for taking the time to reply to my query. In looking for possible cause and remedy some youtube videos were showing the extensive build up of oil and carbon sludge around the turbo variable vanes which was causing the actuator to stick. I guess this means I have to consider a DIY job of getting at the turbo and reconditioning it myself as I imagine its a Big Bobs job if I take it back to the toyota mechanics..... :shock2:
Mars
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

It will probably be expensive yes. A DIY removal and clean-up of the turbo/actuator is really not that difficult. I hope you manage to get it sorted.

Return to “The Workshop”