4Y blown headgasket

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Koppelaar
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 87 2.2 SC

4Y blown headgasket

Post by Koppelaar »

Is it possible to remove the silinder head from the block while both manifolds still attached to head?
I have removed exhaust to manifold bolts. Carburettor and all other pipes, paraphenalia also removed from head.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: 4Y blown headgasket

Post by Mud Dog »

I don't see why not, it just makes it awkward to manipulate the extra weight if you don't have an extra pair of helping hands, especially when refitting the head. Then there is the consideration of having to remove the manifolds afterwards anyway if the head needs to be skimmed.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

I am not that familiar with the 4Y but I have done it on other engines in the past. Like Andy says, the weight of the whole assembly can make it difficult to manipulate.
Koppelaar
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Koppelaar »

Thanks, silinder head removed and clear blown gasket on 4th cylinder. Also looks like its warped and needs to ne skimmed.
Question: can the head be skimmed with the valves still intact or must it be stripped bare?

Cheers
Attachments
429AF7A8-F428-4A2B-B776-29406C230B92.jpeg
88BA23C9-6976-4AA9-9CF7-2A2C8A045696.jpeg
Mars
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

It is better strip the head and have the engineering shop re-seat the valves and check the valve guides (replace if necessary) seeing as you have already come this far. Also fit new valve stem seals.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Mars wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:52 pm It is better strip the head and have the engineering shop re-seat the valves and check the valve guides (replace if necessary) seeing as you have already come this far. Also fit new valve stem seals.
+1
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Koppelaar
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Koppelaar »

Thanks Mars, will be following your advice.
dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Harkerville WC
Vehicle: 1990 Hilux 4Y

Post by dax021 »

When I had mine done the engineering shop recommended that they grind some ali away to lower the compression to suit 95 octane. Can't tell if it made any difference except that I don't get any pinking anymore. Car runs well, never tested the compression

Return to “The Workshop”