Hilux will not start

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
BWW
Town: Mount Helena
Vehicle: 1983 Hilux

Hilux will not start

Post by BWW »

Hi all,

Thanks for letting me join this forum.

I am a new Hilux owner and have a 1983 2.4 diesel pickup / ute. So far it has run beautifully and started instantly, but now it will not start. When I try to start it all I get is a clicking from the large relay on the left hand inner wing near to the wiper motor. So far I have short circuited the starter motor which then turns the engine over fine, cleaned every connection I can find, checked every fuse I can find and made sure that there is plenty of diesel in the tank. No luck so far as it still just clicks. There is no noise coming from the solenoid though it works fine as I mentioned above. I should mention that no fuel seems to be being delivered to the engine.

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be and what I should be looking at Please? I am stumped!

Thanks
BW
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Hilux will not start

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome Brian! :thumbup:

Is there power to the glow plugs when the key is turned to ignition position (the relay will only power the plugs for a short while before shutting off). If there is power, are the plugs heating up?

What makes you think there is no fuel delivery?
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
BWW
Town: Mount Helena
Vehicle: 1983 Hilux

Post by BWW »

Hi Andy

Thanks for the welcome and for replying to my post.

I haven't tested to see if there is any power at the glow plugs but will get the multimeter out and check it. If there is not, would that stop the starter from working?
I thought that there was no fuel delivery as I cranked the engine over (by short circuiting the solenoid) with an injector pipe disconnected and nothing came out. Would my 83 model have an electric fuel pump?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for your help!

Brian
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi again Brian. To be frank, my knowledge on the diesels is very limited, so hopefully some one can confirm but I think your model had a mechanical pump.

Then maybe I misunderstood your first post ... you say that you had to crank the motor by shorting the starter solenoid ... does it not crank with the key? If not maybe you have an ignition switch problem. :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

The 2.4d has a mechanical injection pump. It may however have an electronic fuel cut-off which would also point to your ignition switch as is the case with the engine not cranking when you turn the igition switch. If it was purely a case of diesel starvation it would still crank. Conversely if it cranks and gets diesel it will start as a diesel has compression ignition. So in my opinion both issues you are experiencing points to the same fault.

Return to “The Workshop”