inter cooler for 2.5 hilux

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
mingos
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: lausanne
Vehicle: hilux 2.5 srx

inter cooler for 2.5 hilux

Post by mingos »

Hi guys
I'm new to the forum and hope to be able to contribute to it and also get some advice.
I have just recently bought a 2015 hilux 2.5 diesel with quite high mileage (216.000) and find it a bit sluggish.
Would a intercooler help and can you get intercooler kits for this vehicle?
I also noticed a bit of a misfire when cold !!!
any advice would be much appreciated
thanks
José
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: inter cooler for 2.5 hilux

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi Jose and welcome aboard! :thumbup:

I'll let the diesel heads on the forum give you more definitive answers but will comment as follows

216000 is not low but also not very high for these motors.
The 2.5 diesel is known to be on the sluggish side, but an intercooler and chip really wakes them up - needs to be done properly and professionally though. Intercooler kits are available.
An intercooler alone will give a small but noticeable improvement in performance.

The misfire when cold is not normal and something is wrong. I would start with a compression test when both cold and then hot. I would also have the injectors tested and calibrated.

Good luck. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Welcome to the forum Jose!

Yes an intercooler will make a difference and combined with a Unichip you can easily achieve 100kw.
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
pieta.swanepoel
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2017 Toyota Hilux 2.4 GD-6 SR 4x4 SC

Post by pieta.swanepoel »

I fitted a Cirrus intercooler to my 2.5. Bought it as kit but had to cut holes in the front panel, cut the pipe lenghts to size and drill holes in brackets as required. Bit of a job but did not take to long to do.

I did feel the difference. Still want to fit a Dastek chip. Oh, and the exhaust has also been replaced with larger diameter one. Also, made a difference
Groot berge en lang grondpaaie
DELILA
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: MISGUND WESTERN CAPE
Vehicle: 1993 2.4d Hilux 4x4 SC

Post by DELILA »

Misfire when cold can also be a glowplug not working, have them checked. You can also put injector cleaner on a full tank and drive till empty.
mingos
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: lausanne
Vehicle: hilux 2.5 srx

Post by mingos »

Hi guys
Thank you all for the advice, the injectors were (replaced )?? just before I bought the vehicle, maybe not calibrated! !
would this be a job at toyota dealer only?.
Fitting a chip to an engine of this mileage, would this be asking too much from it?
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

No, not asking too much of the older motor, mileage is really not too high unless it's worked very hard throughout. Even so,. an intercooler and chip will perk it up nicely.

Agree with Barend that the cold misfire could be glow plug related.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

mingos wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:26 am Hi guys
Thank you all for the advice, the injectors were (replaced )?? just before I bought the vehicle, maybe not calibrated! !
would this be a job at toyota dealer only?.
Fitting a chip to an engine of this mileage, would this be asking too much from it?
Be careful to just fit any chip - what you want is a chip that is programmed for YOUR vehicle on a dyno where all parameters is checked to ensure all is safe.

There a lot of generic chips that you plug into a socket on the car yourself - that is a guaranteed hole in a piston at some point.

DO NOT chase the highest power gains that you are promised, rather go with a conservative gain and keep the reliability.
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.

Return to “The Workshop”