Broken Main Transmission Housing from the Check / Refill Cork

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Stallion
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Dar Es Salaam
Vehicle: Hilux Raider YN67R, South African Specification

Broken Main Transmission Housing from the Check / Refill Cork

Post by Stallion »

Evening Guys,

Hope all well at your end by the Grace of the Almighty.

After checking the Underneath Fluids of my Stallion, i always have a habit of checking for leaks for around 3 days continuously, and thereafter in intervals. This time i noticed Gear Oil leak from the Transmission Box (Main Box), from the Check / Refill Cork.

I thought i hadn't tightened it properly, so checked and found it was tightened proper, i therefore assumed there would be dirt stuck in between the Copper Washer and the Seat, so decided to partially open the Cork, cleaned and tightened it back.

Next day, it was still leaking, hence decided to remove the Cork, wrap it with Seal Tape and close it back, while closing it, as soon as it reached to the state of tightening, heard a sound and 2 pieces from the cork housing on the main box fell down. :frustrated:

I then placed it back and sealed with Clear RTV Maker, that worked, went with her to the Farm and back with no leaks. Hence decided if the RTV worked, i would go for a more permanent sealant, the M-Seal, and damn, that didn't work, she began leaking again. :frustrated:

Now i want to go for a proper job, hence went to Engineering this Morning and showed them the problem and they said if i wanted a guaranteed and clean job, i need to take the transmission down and take it to them.

I therefore have decided to bring the Transmission down tomorrow. :(

Any things that i need to be aware of, or careful of or any other tips on fixing this without bringing the Transmission down, will be appreciated.

Looking forward to your response on this by return.

Regards
Shermohamed

How can i send a video here if i wanted to show where exactly it broke
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Broken Main Transmission Housing from the Check / Refill Cork

Post by Mud Dog »

Upload video to You-tube and post the link here.

Take the box out and have it repaired properly.

Before removing the drive shafts, mark both sides of the slip joint exactly so that when you put them back they are not out of phase or out by a spline. I also like to mark the end flanges on both sides so that it goes back exactly the same way it came out.

Disconnect the speedo cable, reverse light switch wires from gearbox and 4WD switch wires on X-fer box. Both gear levers need to be disconnected - lift the rubber boots and the turret bolts are visible and accessible from inside the cab. For cable operated clutch, disconnect clutch cable - for hydraulic clutch, remove the complete slave cylinder without disconnecting the hydraulic pipe and tie it off to the side out of the way.

Disconnect the battery. Remove the starter motor.

Drain the oils from the gearbox and the X-fer box separately ... if they are still good and not opaque or discoloured, they can be re-used.

If you are able to loan a transmission jack it will be a big help but have a helper or two with you when you are ready to take it out .... it's heavy and awkward to get out. (Practise a few choice swear words in advance. :D: )

Do not allow the box to hang on the spigot shaft - slip it off straight until it clears the pressure plate before letting it down. Same applies when putting it back.

It's a good idea to replace the clutch plate, pressure plate, spigot bearing and release bearing while you have it all out. Check for seepage / leaks on the seals of the spigot shaft (at gearbox) and the rear crank seal (behind the flywheel). Might be a good idea to replace them anyway (use only genuine Toyota seals).

Good luck. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Kader
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hilux D4D

Post by Kader »

Slms, if you close to Jhb, I would not mind helping you with this as I've got a Hilux and the opportunity to get the experience removing the box would be great. Let me know know.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Harkerville WC
Vehicle: 1990 Hilux 4Y

Post by dax021 »

Ja, Dar Es Salaam is just round the corner, pop in.
Stallion
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Stallion »

:celebrate: Thank Mud Dog for all the tips.

Kader, are you in Tanzania, Dar Es Salaam?

Mud Dog, I've asked my friend who's workshop I'll be using today, to lend me his 2 workers who'll assist me in doing this.

Thanks for the good luck, and I've many swear words :celebrate:

Regards
Shermohamed
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

P.S. It may not be necessary to remove the starter if the starter bolts are not holding the bell-housing. If memory serves me correctly I think they go right through. :think:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Kader
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hilux D4D

Post by Kader »

Shermohamed wrote::celebrate: Thank Mud Dog for all the tips.

Kader, are you in Tanzania, Dar Es Salaam?

Mud Dog, I've asked my friend who's workshop I'll be using today, to lend me his 2 workers who'll assist me in doing this.

Thanks for the good luck, and I've many swear words :celebrate:

Regards
Shermohamed
Nope, I'm in Johannesburg, South Africa :)

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Stallion
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Stallion »

Good Afternoon to you all,

By the Grace of the Almighty, i removed the Transmission with the Transfer as a whole unit, and everything went like clockwork. We removed in 1 hr and 40 mins. Took the Transmission to Engineering and hopefully it shall be ready by Monday the 04th Feb 2019. Today being Saturday, they work until 12.30hrs our time.

Mug Dog, i literally didn't have to use a single swearing word, as mentioned above, everything went like clockwork. I also diagnosed the Rear Crankshaft Oil Seal was on it's initial stages of wearing out, as OIl had started sipping into the Bellhousing, but hadn't reached or didn;t wet the Clutch or Pressure Plate, and also the Pilot Bearing was worn out, hence have got the replacements and will install them on Monday. The Clutch & Pressure Plates are as good as new, can drive to South Africa and back several times :thumbup:

Thank you once again for all the tips & advises, was just nervous on removal of the Dust / Sound Boots from the inside without damaging them, and they just came off with zero issues.

Well by the Grace of the Almighty, we should be ready to install the Transmission by Monday Afternoon.

Regards
Shermohamed
Stallion
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Stallion »

Mud Dog wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:31 am P.S. It may not be necessary to remove the starter if the starter bolts are not holding the bell-housing. If memory serves me correctly I think they go right through. :think:
Had to Remove the Starter Motor, as was holding with the Bell Housing :thumbup:
Shermohamed
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Glad to hear that all has gone well so far. :winkx:

Stallion
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Stallion »

Mud Dog wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:40 pm Glad to hear that all has gone well so far. :winkx:
Thank you Mud Dog :thumbup:
Stallion
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Stallion »

Evening Guys,

Can you believe that Engineering failed to repair the cracked Transmission Housing from the Check / Refill Cork. They called me and said it was ready, I picked it up, brought it to the Workshop, filled it up in Gear Oil and started the installation, I was halfway there and noticed the leak from where they'd welded :(

I then had to bring the Transmission down again, and showed it to a local guy just behind the Workshop Street, he completed repairing the crack at half five in the evening. I then filled it up with oil again, and have now left it till tomorrow to see if its still leaking.

My heart's broken :cry:

Don't know what am I going to do if it's still leaking.

Regards
Sher Mohammed
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Here's hoping that the 2nd attempt at repair has been successful.

Otherwise take it back again, especially if it's leaking from a crack .... if it's leaking from the threaded area between the housing and the plug you could try some PTFE sealing tape on the plug (don't put on too much because the pressure could crack the housing again .... about 8 winds / layers should be enough to seal it).

Stallion
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Stallion »

Morning Mud Dog

I hope so too that the 2nd repair attempt should've solved the problem. I'll be going to the workshop in a while. Even scared to go and see at the workshop. Was all so excited when received the call from engineering, but all the excitement went down when found it was leaking from the repairs.

Anyways, will keep you posted on what went on by this evening.

Regards
Shermohamed
Stallion
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Stallion »

Good Evening guys & Mud Dog,

Hope all well at your ends by the Grace of the Almighty.

With the Grace of the Almighty, the Transmission Housing is holding up quite well, we'd installed it yesterday after leaving it with Oil in it and set it tilted for an overnight to make sure there were no leaks, and passed.

Thereafter I decided to fabricate a Safari Snorkel and had it completed today with the paint job, and she came out like an Animal :yahoo:

Took her for a test drive this Evening and checked for the leak again, and all perfect so far. With the Snorkel on, she's got better power and lift, as now the Air Flow is more direct :thumbup:

Regards
Sher Mohammed
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Good to hear! :thumbup:

But after all this time I don't recall seeing any pictures of your steed. How about posting a pic or three with your snorkel featured as well. :D:

Stallion
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Stallion »

Hey Mud Dog,

Yes, I still haven't posted any pics of my Stallion yet, I'll ask my wife to do it for me here, and send it to you guys. Am not that good in smart phones, on the other hand, my wife is an expert in these smart phones :D:

Regards
Shermohamed
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

:thumbup: :winkx:

Stallion
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Stallion »

I could send you the pics via WhatsApp, but will require your cell number for that.

Sher Moh'd
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Rather get your wife to load them here for you .... then we can all see them. :thumbup:

To transfer from my cell to PC is a bit of a mission. :winkx:

Stallion
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Stallion »

OK, will do my best.

Just returned from the Farm, and she's perfect by the grace of the Almighty. No leaks at all, and she's got a very impressive amount of power.

Regards
Shermohamed

Return to “The Workshop”