Whining sounds still present after replacing bearings

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Robboza
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Cape town
Vehicle: Hilux D4D 4X4Rob

Whining sounds still present after replacing bearings

Post by Robboza »

Hi All,

I see this has been discussies before. Please bare with me .
I have started to notice a humming/whining noise coming from the rear of my hilux d4D 4X4 2011 model extra cab.
I have 130K on the Clock so its barely run in :)

IT started maybe six Months ago and has gotten a little more obvious and anoying Now.
Toyota Advise it could be tyre noise, bearings,or diff.
Starts to really be noticable at 70 to 80 KMS. Present when in neutral and Free wheeling.

I have all terains on which seem to have worn fine. Took car to Mechanic ,put iT on the lift, spun wheels and all agreed its the bearing.
NOw bearings have been replace (both rear wheels) and surprise surprise sound still present.

So next step is have diff checked out ? What kind of costs are we looping at here ?
Can anyone Plessers recomment a trustworthy contact who Will not take me for a ride? Cape Town and surrounds.

Help please :)
Robboza
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Re: Whining sounds still present after replacing bearings

Post by Robboza »

Please Excuse all the auto correct errors here.You get the point in sure
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

I suspect that it is your tyres. How many kilos do you have on them? If you inspect the blocks closely does it look like the front of the blocks (i.e. the front edge of the blocks in the direction of rotation of the tyre) has a little lip and the rear blocks a rounded edge? All terrain tyres commonly wear like that and then start to become very noisy. At one stage I thought either the diff or gearbox of my D4D must be shot. The BFs I had on were starting to near the end of their life and had worn that way and the more the wear the worse the noise.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Easy enough to check - jack up the rear securely and run the drive train with the wheels off the ground. Just be sure that it's sturdy and not in 4wd.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Tim86
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Tim86 »

Often if the diff pinion has play you will get a low whirring or humming sound over a certain speed range and generally under load. Get under there and give the pinion flange a good tug in all directions - there should be bugger all to no play. Any movement relative to the housing of more than 0.3??? mm isn't great. Gear teeth will start to wear incorrectly.
If there is notable play you can start by trying to tighten the pinion up, I'm not sure of the later models' setups but Allan in Brackenfell can sort you out: 0seventwo one29 1onesix0. He'll also tell you straight away what the problem is. Possibly also the rear prop centre bearing, not sure about universals.
smokintyres
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Windhoek
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6, relatively standard; for now...

Post by smokintyres »

Tim86 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:42 am Often if the diff pinion has play you will get a low whirring or humming sound over a certain speed range and generally under load. Get under there and give the pinion flange a good tug in all directions - there should be bugger all to no play. Any movement relative to the housing of more than 0.3??? mm isn't great. Gear teeth will start to wear incorrectly.
If there is notable play you can start by trying to tighten the pinion up, I'm not sure of the later models' setups but Allan in Brackenfell can sort you out: 0seventwo one29 1onesix0. He'll also tell you straight away what the problem is. Possibly also the rear prop centre bearing, not sure about universals.
+1 on the above. Check center bearing and propshaft knuckles for play or funny noises. Whining sound in my case turned out to be the center bearing, but it may be any of the other options as well.
Robboza
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Robboza »

Thanks everyone. . Going to gearmax Tomorrow for an opinion too. Will see what they say, then check all your suggestions above too . Will keep you posted. Gearmax today saying 1500 to open up diff for exam. And anything between 13 000 to 16 000 should they need to fix diff !!! Really hoping i dont have to eventually head this route. Will exhaust all options. Wish me Luck.
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Good Luck. :thumbup:

I'm pretty sure it will be a diff whine, but hope for your sake that I am wrong. If it is the diff, you might get lucky if it's not badly worn and can be re-set up ..... might still have a small whine afterwards but in that case, hopefully one that you can live with. :winkx:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Tim86
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Tim86 »

I would strongly recommend Allan over Gearmax.
Robboza
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Robboza »

@Mars : I recon I have around 60 to 65 K on the BF All Terrains. Still quite a lot of tread actually come to think about it for that mileage.
@Tim86 : Ill def be contacting Allan before I do anything else. Thanks . @Mud Dog I hope so too man ! @Gernot : Shot man ill be checking that too for sure .
Mars

Post by Mars »

Did you check the shape of wear on the blocks of the tyres?
Robboza
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Robboza »

@Mars : Yep had a look and I’m not finding anything like that.
Seen two more people and all pointing to Diff. Booked in with Alan now this week Tim.
Will let you know the outcome. Something needs to be done can’t drive to Kgalahadi in this state.
Robboza
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Robboza »

So an update . Turns out it was the diff bearing. Alan was a great contact. Highly recommended. Thanks Tim. Love my hilux again :yahoo:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Great to hear!! :thumbup:

Tim86
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Tim86 »

Good news!
Which bearing and did Allan say what was wrong with said bearing? Pinion? Quite unusual for the carrier bearings to give up I would imagine as they are not under undue stress when compared to the wheel bearings for example, especially after only 130k km's.
Mars

Post by Mars »

Awesome news. Thanks for the feedback.

Return to “The Workshop”