SFA Import Bin LHS taillight

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

SFA Import Bin LHS taillight

Post by niclemaitre »

Hi there

I need a tail light for an 87 SFA with the import bin (vertical tail lights). It's identical to the taillight of the Venture, but for some reason Toyota have ceased production of the LHS (passenger) one, the RHS they still make :slap: .

Anyone know where I can get a pirate part?

Thanks
Nic
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold
IFS '99 DC "Benny"
Tim86
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux

Re: SFA Import Bin LHS taillight

Post by Tim86 »

Bos Toe

Post by Bos Toe »

Myne by Auto Body Parts in Krugersdorp gekry vir R228 albei!
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by niclemaitre »

Bos Toe wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:50 am Myne by Auto Body Parts in Krugersdorp gekry vir R228 albei!
Het jy 'n kontak nommer vir hulle asb?
Happy trails
Nic

IFS '99 DC "Benny"
Bos Toe

Post by Bos Toe »

RUWAN VENTER
SALES PERSON
AUTO BODY SPARES
KRUGERSDORP
011 953 1467
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by niclemaitre »

Baie dankie!!
Happy trails
Nic

IFS '99 DC "Benny"
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by niclemaitre »

Tim86 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:33 am https://www.hilux4x4.co.za/views/viewto ... 71#p506971

Depo, through Grandmark apparently:

http://www.grandmark.co.za/
R75 for the entire light assembly. Toyota's price for the right hand side, lens only, R900.
Happy trails
Nic

IFS '99 DC "Benny"
Tim86
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Tim86 »

Really?? stoked.
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by niclemaitre »

Yes, swung by there on my way to work. Seem to have an excellent range of spares for loads of vehicles.
Happy trails
Nic

IFS '99 DC "Benny"
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

niclemaitre wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:34 am
Tim86 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:33 am https://www.hilux4x4.co.za/views/viewto ... 71#p506971

Depo, through Grandmark apparently:

http://www.grandmark.co.za/
R75 for the entire light assembly. Toyota's price for the right hand side, lens only, R900.
The Toyota lens will last for ever, while the pirate one will fade quickly.I have a genuine Toyota brand new LH side lens .Keep it safety in my safe for the day
i might need it.
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Cres
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: JHB
Vehicle: Cressida 2JZ , Lexus IS200 Sport , Hilux s/c 3.0D4D 4x4, Hilux d/c SFA 7MGTE

Post by Cres »

Also looking for import bin lights....

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Harkerville WC
Vehicle: 1990 Hilux 4Y

Post by dax021 »

My tail lights (local bin) are still working fine, except for the fact that my reverse light is pretty much useless. On removing the lens cover, I found that most of the chrome has flaked off, leaving a black plastic reflector. Does anyone know if there is a product out there to refurbish these? If so, does it work and is is it worth it?

Thanks in advance, Peter
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

A couple of thoughts came to mind and I'm not sure which would work best. Obviously the brighter and more reflective, the better.

My first thought was to spray the reflective surface with an aerosol silver paint (one gets some pretty bright ones like "Chrome" and "Mirror Chrome").

Then I thought about gluing in some aluminium foil that is rolled smooth onto the surface, but it will tarnish over time and become dull unless one gives it a protective layer of clear lacquer.

Lastly I thought about simply spraying it with a bright white gloss paint which may well be the better option of the three.

It might be simpler and not much more expensive to replace then with a set of new pirate units from Grandmark, but if the old units were still good and the lenses weren't faded or opaque, I suppose that if I had the time to mess about, I'd spray one with "Mirror Chrome" and the other with "Gloss White" and test which one appears brighter to the eye in the dark with the reverse light on. :D:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by dax021 »

Hi Andy, thanks. Thought of the tin foil and chrome spray options, but not too sure how good those paints are. I haven't had great success with them in the past. Must say, I didn't think of white paint, might work. The other option I am contemplating is to replace the complete units with those truck/trailer round LED units, I quite like the look. Not to happy to drill great big holes in the valence though. I've also been hunting for a flattish single LED unit and just piggy back off the reverse circuit. Can't find the right one though.
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

4x4Direct had some nice LED ones. Have a look at what they have available. :winkx:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by niclemaitre »

I'm sure the pirate ones will fade. But since Toyota no longer have the left hand side light and if they did, it would cost R900, I can buy another 11 before I start to lose money.
Happy trails
Nic

IFS '99 DC "Benny"
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by niclemaitre »

dax021 wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:31 pm My tail lights (local bin) are still working fine, except for the fact that my reverse light is pretty much useless. On removing the lens cover, I found that most of the chrome has flaked off, leaving a black plastic reflector. Does anyone know if there is a product out there to refurbish these? If so, does it work and is is it worth it?

Thanks in advance, Peter
You can buy those light units complete for very little, I think they are actually a standard Hella unit. Or buy the pirate ones, and reuse your original lenses
Happy trails
Nic

IFS '99 DC "Benny"
Bos Toe

Post by Bos Toe »

My pirates wat ek by ABS gekoop het is nou al meer as n jaar oud en lyk nog 100%
dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by dax021 »

Thanks all, I have noted all your comments. I'm in no great rush, so will keep my eyes open for the right solution, be it, pirate units, truck lights, or just a single reverse unit. My tail lights currently work just fine, only issue is I can see bugger all behind me when reversing at night. I have looked at 4x4direct and I didn't see anything suitable. I have actually even thought about sticking a metre of LED strip along the back and seeing how that works.
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by niclemaitre »

I've replaced the original bulbs with LEDs from 4x4direct, that are significantly better than the original incandescents.
Happy trails
Nic

IFS '99 DC "Benny"
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

niclemaitre wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:48 pm I've replaced the original bulbs with LEDs from 4x4direct, that are significantly better than the original incandescents.
I also replace my bulbs with LEDs from 4x4 direct.It works very well except the revers bulbs.The normal bulb has n bigger light area than the led bulb.The led bulb give n purple colour
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

I tend to agree with Dawie based on my experience with LED lighting ..... The LED's look very bright if you look directly at them but they don't seem to have the same distance penetration as incandescent lamps and I put this down to the frequency of the light itself. LED lighting has a higher frequency than incandescent and much the same as radio waves (or even waves / ripples in water), the shorter wave form loses it's oomph a lot quicker.

Dawie will recall a pair of rectangular spot lamps that he kindly donated to me and that I mounted them rear facing on the back of my canopy. They are separately switched (toggle switch on the dash) and besides providing ample light to do whatever I need to behind the vehicle at night, or flashing a "thank you" to a considerate driver who has pulled to the side allowing me to pass, or to get a less considerate driver travelling behind me to dip his brights, they are the best reverse lights I've ever had.

That's another option worth considering Peter. :winkx:

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Return to “The Workshop”