How to replace '03 Hilux steering gear output shaft seal/

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
JAMES399
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Alejandria Antioquia Colombia SA
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4

How to replace '03 Hilux steering gear output shaft seal/

Post by JAMES399 »

The output shaft seal on my '30 Hilux's steering box has started to leak. I've looked high and low and can't find any info on how to replace it. Anybody got a link to some help ??

- JAMES
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: How to replace '03 Hilux steering gear output shaft seal/

Post by Mud Dog »

Quite a number of the local guys have had success with an oil additive called "Prolong". I don't know if the same product is available in your country, but it's a Teflon type additive and you might have "Slick 50" in your area which is pretty much the same thing.

Add a small amount to the ATF in your steering pump reservoir and see if it sorts the problem after a couple days.I think it softens or swells the seals a little and stops the weeping.

Hope it works for you. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
JAMES399
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Alejandria Antioquia Colombia SA
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4

Post by JAMES399 »

Mudd -

I took your advice and found a local dealer for Lucas power steering fluid with sealer. Drained the fluid out of my PS reservior, and topped off with the Lucas. After a week of driving (200+ kms) no more drips. Thanks for the great feedback.

- JAMES
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Great! Good to hear. :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “The Workshop”