How to Reset/Remove Airbag Light on 2007/2014 Hilux

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
pampoen
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: 2011 Hilux DC 3.0 D4D

How to Reset/Remove Airbag Light on 2007/2014 Hilux

Post by pampoen »

So I recently had an issue with my airbag light coming on, As some of you will know I purchased this vehicle a month ago and having the airbag light come on was a bit soul destroying to say the least.

There are two possible causes for this problem.

1) Years ago there was a recall for the airbag clock spring. However many vehicles are still driving around with potentially faulty equipment onboard. To check if your vehicle qualifies for a free replacement, either go to Toyota for a free OBD scan or enter your VIN number here http://www.toyota.co.za/recall. Or download the "My Toyota" phone app and enter your VIN number. If your vehicle is due a replacement then get down there asap before they change their mind! In my case the bakkie had gone in a year or two ago to have this replacement done.

2) One of the many connectors are loose. In many cases this is the problem. All you need to do is find the two yellow and black connectors found under the driver and passenger front seats, squeeze the connectors together and then find the airbag ecu under the glove compartment and push the connecter firmly back into the ECU. For more info check this video out here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaZ8Dr6f2G8

Hope this helps, in my case I was able to solve the issue by simply squeezing those connectors together.
With each replacement of parts, a car slowly becomes Chinese.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: How to Reset/Remove Airbag Light on 2007/2014 Hilux

Post by Mud Dog »

Happy to hear that you were able to sort it out. Also useful info for someone else experiencing the same problem. :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “The Workshop”