How far can I drive with a front CV boot throwing grease?

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Mornes
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 DC 4x4 AT

How far can I drive with a front CV boot throwing grease?

Post by Mornes »

Hi guys! Just arrived in Hartenbos from Jhb and noticed my front CV boot is leaking grease. How far can I drive before attending to this?

Also if anybody could recommend where to get this repaired I would appreciate it!

Thanks,

Morne'

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Morne' Smuts

Toyota Hilux 2007 - 4.0 DC 4x4 A/T: TRD Supercharger, OME Suspension, Outback Canopy, 29Mhz Radio, 32 BFGR Tyres, Unichip, Echo 4 Trailer, Duel Battery System, Snorkel, ARB Bumper
Whisky
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: 2009 Toyota Hilux DC 3.0 D -4D 4X4
Club VHF Licence: HC 136

Re: How far can I drive with a front CV boot throwing grease?

Post by Whisky »

My Hilux right front CV boot cracked. We were in the dunes and I heard the cv joint making a noise. Looked and saw the boot cracked and grease coming out, sand also got in causing the joint to start making a noise. In Swakopmund I tried to get as much sandgrease out and put new grease in. I then taped it up as best I could and drove back to Stutterheim where I had the joints replaced. If you do not engage 4x4 your front wheels run free. If the cv joint is still fine I will have it repaired as soon as possible to curb any damage to the joint.

Good luck
Mornes
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Mornes »

Thanks Whiskey, I agree with you sooner rather than later. Im just worried no one can help me by the time I have to leave!

Thanks for the advice

Morne' Smuts

Toyota Hilux 2007 - 4.0 DC 4x4 A/T: TRD Supercharger, OME Suspension, Outback Canopy, 29Mhz Radio, 32 BFGR Tyres, Unichip, Echo 4 Trailer, Duel Battery System, Snorkel, ARB Bumper
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

It's probably just that the boot is torn and the CV itself is still OK.

If you are unable to get the boots replaced in time, then pack the CV with lithium grease and tape it up. Just be sure that the outside of the boot is clean - use some petrol on a rag to clean it off without getting any into the boot. Check and see if you can get some wider tape than the normal 20mm width ... I know that you can get up to 70mm wide but 50mm will do just nicely.

Don't wind it on too tight so that it deforms and rubs up against the CV inside, but bind / seal it off from one end through to the other. Do it nicely and it should last for a couple thousand kilos, but check it regularly along your trip (especially in dirt conditions) and take some extra tape and grease along with you. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mornes
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Mornes »

Thanks!

Morne' Smuts

pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Depends on where it is leaking. Mine was leaking because the small clamp came loose. Fixed with strong cable tie and still going strong. If it leaks due to torn or cracked boot then it is a bigger problem.
The CV does not like dust. If you drive on tar and hubs are un-locked, then CV does not turn, even less of a problem.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Mine lasted from Tsumeb to Okakueyu.. a few 100km's of driving.. and then the CV started losing its balls. I Made it to Outju where I had it replaced. Granted it was wet season, and water/mud probably got in there, but the fact is, they dont want to lose grease and get dirty. If you want to save the CV, go to the closest Toyota dealer and have it fixed/replaced. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Hilux 1
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2011 Raider 4x4 Double cab 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC137

Post by Hilux 1 »

Toyota Mosselbay surely will be able to assist.

Hours:
Thursday 8am–5:30pm
Friday 8am–5pm
Saturday 9am–1pm
Sunday Closed
Monday 8am–5:30pm
Tuesday
(Christmas Day)
8am–5:30pm
Hours might differ
Wednesday
(Boxing Day)
8am–5:30pm
Hours might differ
Suggest an edit

Phone: 044 606 5800
muki
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4d D/C 4x4 A/T

Post by muki »

My CV boot cracked while in Rustenburg, taped it up with self fusing tape, and cable ties. It got me to JHB and the return trip back to cpt with no real issues.

I didn't loose much grease. Once I got to JHB I stuffed grease through the crack and retaped it again.

Sent from my ANE-LX2 using Tapatalk

Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

I once had a boot with a small split. Got a syringe, drawn up some grease and injected it into the split, cleaned the boot properly and wiped the area down with acetone, cut a piece of bicycle tube to fit over the split and stuck it on with superglue.

Drove thousands of kilometers like take without any further leak.
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.

Return to “The Workshop”