3.0 D4D oil sweat leak from head cover gasket

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Darkwing Duck
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4D

3.0 D4D oil sweat leak from head cover gasket

Post by Darkwing Duck »

Good day
Not sure what you call it but my Hilux 3.0 D4D "top cover" or Head cover is sweating oil so I want to replace the gasket or seal.
Is it something I can do myself?
(Not a mechanic but D.I.Y outjie)
Must i remove the inter cooler?
Can anything go wrong with disconnecting diesel pipes and turbo pipe?
Or should I rather take it to Toyota :frustrated: to be done professionally?
Please advice as I want it to be done a.s.a.p
Dankie byvoorbaat
PS. My first Toyota and my first dieseltjie
[
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: 3.0 D4D oil sweat leak from head cover gasket

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi and welcome Ferdi! :thumbup:

This is something that is a reasonably easy DIY job, even for a beginner. Anything that is above the tappet cover or uses the tappet cover as a mounting needs to come off - usually only a few small things, the inter-cooler included - really not a biggie. Just note what you removed from where and reverse the steps once you've done the gasket.

Those gaskets are usually cork or rubber and if not damaged can be used again with the help of a little RTV silicone. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

It is a pity that you need to remove the injector pipes in order to get the tappet cover off. Normally removing a tappet cover is a really small job but on the D4D it is a little more of a hassle. It is by no means a complicated job though. The tappet cover has a substantial rubber "O-ring" type seal that is not really prone to leaking. Even after multiple times of disassembly. I find it rather strange that yours is sweating oil. I would first check if all the bolts holding the tappet cover down are tight.

If you want to remove the tappet cover you should note that there are rubber seals/inserts around each of the injectors that you need to pry out before you will be able to lift the tappet cover off. I have seen instances where the tappet cover was removed without completely removing the injector pipes. I am not sure how that is accomplished as they are quite rigid and have clamps holding them in place. Perhaps it can work if you release the injector pipes from the high pressure pump and remove the clamps. I certainly would not like to bend them back. I just remove the injector pipes completely. Make sure that you put those clamps back in their original positions. They hold the pipes rigid so that the pipes don't oscillate too much due to those high pressure pulses leading to eventual metal fatigue.

Another tip is that the high pressure rubber pipe on the left-hand side of the intercooler and running down towards the turbo (when you face the engine from the front) can be tightly stuck and difficult to remove. What I do is to remove the four bolts holding the intercooler down and unplug the sensor on the right front corner of the intercooler. Then I undo both clamps ie on the pipes on the left and on the right of the intercooler and then to pull the intercooler from the top pipe on the right hand side. Ie pulling it towards you. This slight rotational movement is usually enough to release the hold of that downward pipe on the left-hand side.

Finally to answer your question. It can do no harm to remove the injector and other pipes. Make sure that you work as clean as possible
Darkwing Duck
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Darkwing Duck »

Hello again
Thanks so much for the quick response
I've contacted Toyota and they can do it for R700 p/hour
Then another R400 for "O" ring/gasket and what not extra.
I will then rather do it myself and follow step by step what you've said
The Head Mac at Toyota also said I should rather check to see that all the bolts holding the tappet cover down are tight before I remove the cover.
Compliments of the Season to all you Good Hilux Fans out there.
[
Darkwing Duck
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Darkwing Duck »

Thanks for the info once again. Job 100% completed today. All on my own with a minimal cost of R171.00 and can of Clean Green to clean up
Happy chappy

Regards
[
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Good to hear. :thumbup:

What was the actual cause?

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Mars
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Great job!
Darkwing Duck
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Darkwing Duck »

Sorry for the late reply
Cause was "O" ring or gasket did not seal well enough - I suppose there was a slight "sweating" and someone try to tighten the bolts, in result of messing up the gasket.
[
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Well done! :winkx:

Return to “The Workshop”