Leaf Spring Suspension Reinforcement

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Stallion
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Dar Es Salaam
Vehicle: Hilux Raider YN67R, South African Specification

Leaf Spring Suspension Reinforcement

Post by Stallion »

Hey Mud Dog

So here it is.

I've already managed to break a Main Leaf and 2nd Leaf Springs on my Stallion. Now I'm thinking of reinforcing the springs. I use heavy duty off road Monroe Shocks and was thinking to purchase another Main Leaf and 2nd Leaf springs, then cut the old springs and add them on the left and right sides.
Currently she runs on Main, 2nd, 3rd and 4th leaves front suspension, therefore if I add another 2nd Leaf on both sides that'll then make her on Main, 2nd, 2nd 4th and 5th on left and right.
I was thinking of cutting off the old Main and 2nd Leaves into the exact length required and add them after the 2nd Leaf so that I get the flexibility and reinforcement.
Kindly shade your views on this.

Regards
Shermohamed
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Leaf Spring Suspension Reinforcement

Post by Mud Dog »

Don't go too hard on the shocks because you run the risk of breaking the shock mounts.

I'm assuming that you are at times carrying heavy loads over rough roads and if you beef up the springs too much you will have a very bouncy ride when not loaded. My suggestion to you is to fit some Air Helpers since they will take up some of the stress away from the shocks and leaf packs.

You also bear in mind that you might be exceeding the rated load capacity of the vehicle .... chassis rails and suspension are designed to carry only so much and in poor road conditions it's wise to stay below that.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Stallion
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Dar Es Salaam
Vehicle: Hilux Raider YN67R, South African Specification

Re: Leaf Spring Suspension Reinforcement

Post by Stallion »

Hey Mud Dog,

Thank you for your response.

Yes, i do carry loads most of the times and on rough terrain, but once or twice i've overloaded her, but that was about it, after those loads, i make sure that she's not overloaded, my maximum load capacity currently is 1.5 tons, don;t go beyond that.

Noted on the beefing up the Leaf packs, and your suggestion of going for Air Bag Suspensions. I shall look into that.

Thanks once again for your swift response.

Regards
Shermohamed

Return to “The Workshop”