kzTE fuel problem

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
sasafaris
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Durban
Vehicle: hilux 4x4 KZTE

kzTE fuel problem

Post by sasafaris »

I recently had my motor completely redone (550,000km) , new rings, bearings, crankshaft regrind etc with all Toyota parts except for the injectors which were aftermarket - Bosch or Denza? )but recommended. Mostly the engine rebuild was because of oil leaks. New turbo, water pump fitted. Oil pump new, and viscous fan new.
I had fitted a chip about a year before to help with the lagging power, I had the truck tested on a dyno and also to see if there were any dodgy readings before I fitted the chip, nada. Fitted the chip and the KW went from about 65 to near 80. But at the rebuild I tossed it, I changed a couple of sensors for new OE but was getting the engine light come on at odd times with the attendant drop to limp mode. Switch key off and restart, and everything back to normal. I took it back to see if the chip would sort out the problem, but when they tried to re-insert the chip the computer registered all sorts of issues, took it out, all readings normal. My hair was starting to fall out faster.
The engine idles roughly, and it is guzzling fuel, and I do not have a heavy foot. My consumption has dropped to around 7 km per litre, vs around 10-11 before. I have done over 6000 km since the rebuild, however, it was checked on the dyno again and no warning lights on the computer are manifesting, and the power is around 80kw, so no problem there.
I had the injectors checked yesterday, and they are spraying 100%. Th mechanic says the next 2 steps, double check fuel pump calibration, and then if that does not work, find a replacement CPU and try that.
By then I will be completely bald, and broke. Has anybody had a similar issue, and how did you overcome it.
To summarise;
Rough idle
heavy fuel
occasional engine warning light comes on and drops power. :frustrated:
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: kzTE fuel problem

Post by Family_Dog »

Can't help with the fuel problem, but very doubtful that the CPU would be faulty. A CPU acts according to the information presented to it and very seldom itself gives errors.

Sounds stupid, but try disconnect the battery for a few minutyes and then reconnect, maybe the CPU just needs a reboot.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

WayneMan
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Joburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux KZTE 4x4 DC

Post by WayneMan »

Curious to know if u found the fault and managed to resolve it?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

sasafaris
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Durban
Vehicle: hilux 4x4 KZTE

Post by sasafaris »

nope. as soon as the bank balance looks healthier I will send it to have the pump calibrated and see if that helps.

Return to “The Workshop”