DRIVELINE VIBRATION AFTER CENTER SUPPORT BEARING REPLACEMENT

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
JAMES399
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Alejandria Antioquia Colombia SA
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4

DRIVELINE VIBRATION AFTER CENTER SUPPORT BEARING REPLACEMENT

Post by JAMES399 »

I recently replaced the driveshaft center support bearing in my '03 Hilux 4x4. After the replacement, the truck has a driveline vibration when a pass 80kph. I know I did the install correctly and marked the output shaft and diff input so the driveshaft was installed exactly where it originally was. I rechecked everything and all looks good.

I just noticed that the box for the replacement bearing had "Vigo" handwritten on it. Are the support bearings for the later model Vigos different than the '03 hilux?? Visually they look the same. Anyone know for sure ??

- JAMES
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: DRIVELINE VIBRATION AFTER CENTER SUPPORT BEARING REPLACEMENT

Post by Mud Dog »

I cannot tell you if the carrier bearings are the same or not for the '03 and Vigo, maybe someone here knows or you could check with the parts centre where you bought it from.

Two questions .... did you install it the same way around as the original (there is a back and a front)? Secondly, besides marking the diff and box ends, did you mark the slip joint as well? That's important, one spline out and you'll have a vibration, and it's easy to get this wrong if the diff pinion shaft or gearbox shaft have been moved / rotated.

If either shaft was rotated you could even be out on the slip joint and still get the marks on the shafts to line up - the balance and the phasing of the universals will be out. Do a search here on "Universal Phasing" (there are some topics on it) or otherwise Google it ... easier than to explain it here.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mornes
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 DC 4x4 AT

Post by Mornes »

I agree with you. The two shafts need to be perfectly aligned on the splines otherwise a vibration is guaranteed. Joint will also wear excessively.The actual line up of flanges on diff is of less/no importance.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Morne' Smuts

Toyota Hilux 2007 - 4.0 DC 4x4 A/T: TRD Supercharger, OME Suspension, Outback Canopy, 29Mhz Radio, 32 BFGR Tyres, Unichip, Echo 4 Trailer, Duel Battery System, Snorkel, ARB Bumper
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Make sure you have the bearing installed correctly. On one side is one hole and on the other side two holes. The one hole must face downward.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
JAMES399
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by JAMES399 »

Mud Dog -

You were correct. The u-joints were out of phase. The front shaft was out of align with the rear. Never worked on a 3 u-joint driveshaft before, and had no idea that the joints needed to be in phase. Got everything properly aligned, and test drove it on the highway. 130kph and smooth as can be. Thanks for your help.

- JAMES
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Glad to hear!! :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
JAMES399
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by JAMES399 »

pietpetoors -

Thanks for the heads-up on the bearing orientation. All the factory manuals I have never mentioned anything about there being an up and down for the support bearing. Never mentioned anything about U-joint phasing either. I crawled back under the truck knowing I had a 50/50 chance it was installed correctly, and as luck had it, it was wrong. Flipped it over, and now the entire driveline is all set. Appreciate you sharing that info with me.
BTW - I looked the bearing over, and other than the two holes on one side and one on the other I couldn't see any other differences. Do you know why the bearing has to be oriented with the single hole down?? Just wondering.

- JAMES
Mornes
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 DC 4x4 AT

Post by Mornes »

Very nice to hear about the bearing carrier orientation, I also want to know why this makes a difference? Mine was wrong way round as well.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Morne' Smuts

Toyota Hilux 2007 - 4.0 DC 4x4 A/T: TRD Supercharger, OME Suspension, Outback Canopy, 29Mhz Radio, 32 BFGR Tyres, Unichip, Echo 4 Trailer, Duel Battery System, Snorkel, ARB Bumper
JAMES399
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by JAMES399 »

Driveshaft Vibration UPDATE:

I thought that I had solved my driveshaft vibration by rephasing the u-joints, but the vibration returned. Slowly building up and peaking at about 86km/hr. It disappeared if I went faster. Everything checkout ok, and I was at wit's end. As I was rechecking the front and rear u-joints, I noticed just the tiniest amount of looseness in the rear joint. I removed the it, and found that ONE needle bearing was missing. Probably omitted whenever the joint was installed. Replaced the u-joint and problem solved.

Hard to believe that so much vibration could be due to a single needle bearing.

- JAMES
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Very interesting and very good to know. Thanks for the update.

Return to “The Workshop”