Leaking radiator bottle & wet passenger carpet - kzte

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Shawn-kzte
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: Hilux kzte

Leaking radiator bottle & wet passenger carpet - kzte

Post by Shawn-kzte »

Good afternoon friends,
I need some advice please. My radiator plastic bottle seems to be running low fairly often - and I comtinuously have to top it up (not a significant amount though). Ere is also a smell continuously inside my double cab. I checked around in the bakkie today and notice the passenger carpet is slightly wet - which I think is definitely the cause of the smell. Any idea if this is linked to the water loss in my radiator? Would really appreciate any advice please.

Thank you and have an awesome Sunday my friends!
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Re: Leaking radiator bottle & wet passenger carpet - kzte

Post by The Legend »

Shawn the reason for the wet passenger carpet is either your radiator heater or pipe under the dashboard is leaking or your aircon breather pipe is block.
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
pieta.swanepoel
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2017 Toyota Hilux 2.4 GD-6 SR 4x4 SC

Post by pieta.swanepoel »

Not a KZTE but my aircon drainage pipe got disconnected causing the passenger carpet to be wet. I checked that it wasn't blocked and cable-tied it back on
Groot berge en lang grondpaaie
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

It could also be the heat exchanger inside the cab that is leaking. i.e. the small radiator to heat up the cab.
Shawn-kzte

Post by Shawn-kzte »

Thank you Gentleman!

I take it that I will have to strip the underneath of the dash (near the cubby) to try to identify the leak.

Will this cause the expansion tank to go empty from time to time (becoming more frequent of late - perhaps twice per weekj).

The smell is a damp type of smell in the cabin ... not really good at all.

Thank you Gents!!
JohanW
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Strand
Vehicle: 2014 Land Cruiser 76 V8

Post by JohanW »

Hi Shawn

On my old KZ I had to replace the heat exchanger after it sprung a leak. Be very careful driving it in its current condition. If you lose all the coolant you also lose the ability to measure temp. So the temp gauge will show normal while the motor is actually overheating.

Now for the crap part....

The entire dash needs to come out to replace the heat exchanger. Its a moerse job and if not done correctly you will have rattles forever.

Now for the temp fix: You can bypass the heat exchanger in the cab by simply bridging the two pipes that lead from the block to the cab. They run along the firewall behind the engine and enter the cab on the righthand side when standing with the bonnet open in front of you. If you bridge these two pipes you no longer have the ability to heat the cab. But your aircon will still work.

Good luck.
Shawn-kzte

Post by Shawn-kzte »

Thank you Johan!

Return to “The Workshop”