SFA Hilux Mechanic

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Lebowski
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Ladismith
Vehicle: 1987 Toyota Hilux 2.2

SFA Hilux Mechanic

Post by Lebowski »

Hi all,

My 1987 Hilux is reaching 300 000 km's and is due for a major service. I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good old school mechanic in George/Mossel bay/Oudsthoorn area?

Thanks in advance!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: SFA Hilux Mechanic

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi and welcome Joseph! :thumbup:

Hopefully the guys down your way can recommend someone, but if you're a mechanically minded DIY type, you can do it all yourself. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Lebowski
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Lebowski »

Thanks for the fast reply Mud Dog!

My biggest concern is the timing and tuning mainly (Mostly certain that the timing is currently out on the bakkie). I can do mostly all the basics (oil,plugs ect).If I want to delve further, is there someone on the forum who can walk me through all the steps of doing a major service?
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

I'm pretty sure we can help. Things you will have to look at are of course as you mentioned, oil + filter change and plugs. The 4Y doesn't chew plugs so if you've replaced them recently it may not be necessary, but pull them out anyway to check them (be careful not to damage the aluminium sleeves and their seals - if you replace the plugs cut the washers off before fitting, they damage the sleeve and then you get oil leaks).
The other stuff is things like air cleaner element change, check brake fluid, hydraulic clutch fluid (these may be in need of replacement as the fluid is hygroscopic and becomes less effective if it has absorbed moisture). Remove wheels and check brake pads / shoes, grease the universals and slip joints, grease swivel hubs, check diff, gearbox and X-fer case oil levels (no need to replace these unless they are milky / opaque from water ingress).
On the motor you need to check all hoses, especially vacuum lines, that they are not perished / cracked and sucking air, Check that the float level is still in the middle of the sight glass on the side of the carb (No adjustment on the carb). And then of course it's the timing, points and condenser might need replacement, the chain and tensioner may need replacement if it's noisy. Fuel filter should also be replaced and plug leads checked for perishing / cracks of the insulation.

It sounds like a bigger task than it is, but if you take it one step at a time you will get there. The beauty of doing it yourself is not just the $ you save now and further down the line, but also to get to know your vehicle better and to put you in stead to be able to do a field repair if required in your travels.

Have fun. :D: :winkx:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Rigger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: George
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 S/C 4x4

Post by Rigger »

You can contact me at 0823197730 or visit my workshop at 8 Diamant street, George Industria. BJM Auto Services. Or pm me your number and I will call you back.

Regards
Martiens Bekker
Lebowski
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Lebowski »

Thanks for all the valuable info Mud Dog! I'm still deciding, but I think I'm strongly leaning towards doing it myself. At the same time it is a daunting thought, like you said if I do one thing at a time it cant be that bad. Also the positives greatly outweigh all the negatives by doing it yourself. Will it be all right if I pm you every know and then, if I find myself struggling with something? Thanks Martiens, I will definitely consider contacting you as well, the more help the better!

Thanks again everyone! :dance1:
Rigger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: George
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 S/C 4x4

Post by Rigger »

You are welcome to give me a call anytime if you get stuck with something. Or keep us up to date on this thread.

When you are in George come and say hi at my shop. I also do 4x4 accessories and building of aluminium canopies etc.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Rather than PM me, it would be better to post any questions here. More heads are better than one ...... and contrary to popular belief I don't know everything :D:

But yes, always ask and someone will help ..... good way to learn. :winkx:

Return to “The Workshop”