A familiar topic - 22R to 22RE Conversion

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Bliksempie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Pretoria Montana
Vehicle: 2.4 SFA
Club VHF Licence: HC115

A familiar topic - 22R to 22RE Conversion

Post by Bliksempie »

Iv'e gone through all the topics on this matter, and one thing was clear to me - Parts are not easily sourced.

Did anything change since the last discussion? If so, can someone point me in the right direction to where these parts are possibly available locally? (Definitely not expecting good news)
When Life knocks you down, make sure you fall on your back. If you can look up, you can get up

dantjie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: kuilrivier
Vehicle: HILUX SFA LTD 2.4 EFI

Re: A familiar topic - 22R to 22RE Conversion

Post by dantjie »

Hi the best answer i can give is to try someone that has an account with Ebay or imports things from the united states thats the only thing i can think. hope it helps :thumbup: :thumbup:
Bliksempie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Bliksempie »

Dankie daar. Net gehoop miskien lê daar 'n kompleet kit in iemand se Wendyhouse of dalk in sy garage wat net stof opgaar.
When Life knocks you down, make sure you fall on your back. If you can look up, you can get up

JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

Robbie was jy al by die engine importers om te sien wat daar is. Dan het jy net nodig om die minimum in te bring sou dit nodig wees.
Erens moes hulle al sulke enjins gehad het.
Johan Marais
Bliksempie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Bliksempie »

Johan, nie in Suid Afrika ingebring nie. Slegs Die Hilux Surf het met hulle uitgekom, maar jy gaan sukkel om iemand te kry wat sal strip aan daardie engines as jy 'n Surf kry

pampoen
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: 2011 Hilux DC 3.0 D4D

Post by pampoen »

Can I make a strong suggestion to get more then one opinion on the problem before you go the EFI route. Yes EFI is awsome but the route there could leave you without your bakkie for a long while and with conversions there are always the hidden costs/mistakes/problems. Your bakkie has only recently started giving you grief, more then one set of eyes could discover some silly little issue that can be sorted easily. Just my 2cw
With each replacement of parts, a car slowly becomes Chinese.
Bliksempie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Bliksempie »

pampoen wrote:Can I make a strong suggestion to get more then one opinion on the problem before you go the EFI route. Yes EFI is awsome but the route there could leave you without your bakkie for a long while and with conversions there are always the hidden costs/mistakes/problems. Your bakkie has only recently started giving you grief, more then one set of eyes could discover some silly little issue that can be sorted easily. Just my 2cw
Makes sense

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

Bliksempie wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:21 pm Johan, nie in Suid Afrika ingebring nie. Slegs Die Hilux Surf het met hulle uitgekom, maar jy gaan sukkel om iemand te kry wat sal strip aan daardie engines as jy 'n Surf kry
Robbie, Japeuro lys die 22R EFI enjin en ek seker as jy gaan kyk sal jy een kry wat jy kan strip. Al die 22R's in SA was carbs gewees so ek seker jy sal een kry wat afgehaal was van n enjin.
Johan Marais
Bliksempie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Bliksempie »

JohanM wrote:
Bliksempie wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:21 pm Johan, nie in Suid Afrika ingebring nie. Slegs Die Hilux Surf het met hulle uitgekom, maar jy gaan sukkel om iemand te kry wat sal strip aan daardie engines as jy 'n Surf kry
Robbie, Japeuro lys die 22R EFI enjin en ek seker as jy gaan kyk sal jy een kry wat jy kan strip. Al die 22R's in SA was carbs gewees so ek seker jy sal een kry wat afgehaal was van n enjin.
Sal bietjie loer, dankie Johan

Bliksempie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Bliksempie »

Jap Euro in Boksburg do have one, but at a hefty price of R19 000.00 :shock2:
IMG_20180316_062834.jpg

Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Bliksempie wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:25 pm
pampoen wrote:Can I make a strong suggestion to get more then one opinion on the problem before you go the EFI route. Yes EFI is awsome but the route there could leave you without your bakkie for a long while and with conversions there are always the hidden costs/mistakes/problems. Your bakkie has only recently started giving you grief, more then one set of eyes could discover some silly little issue that can be sorted easily. Just my 2cw
Makes sense

I think there are more EFi expertise on this forum than Carb knowledge in the whole of Pta...
I did the conversion in a Saturday, barring the fuel pump/tank mods and the Amp connector for the TP100 that was a mission to source. If one has all the parts it is a 2 day exercise IMO.

Robbie, contact the local Spitronic guys, they are in Ben Swart st now...there is a customer of theirs in Brits that builds manifolds for EFi if memory serves; couldn't hurt to get a quote.
Bliksempie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Bliksempie »

Stef wrote:
Bliksempie wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:25 pm
Makes sense

I think there are more EFi expertise on this forum than Carb knowledge in the whole of Pta...
I did the conversion in a Saturday, barring the fuel pump/tank mods and the Amp connector for the TP100 that was a mission to source. If one has all the parts it is a 2 day exercise IMO.

Robbie, contact the local Spitronic guys, they are in Ben Swart st now...there is a customer of theirs in Brits that builds manifolds for EFi if memory serves; couldn't hurt to get a quote.
Dankie Stef. Sal hoor

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I was lucky enough to get a manifold, plenum and throttle body. Even though it was dirty from storage and sticking a bit, it works just fine after stripping and cleaning, Had to make up our own injector rail and used whatever other bits and bobs we could source. Fuel economy is marginally better than with the carb but power seems to be much of a muchness. We also reverted to a standard cam, so that could be why there were no significant power gains after EFI, except of course in the low rev range where the standard cam provided much better power and driveability of obstacles.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

Kyk bietjie na Cassie se Dyna:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3044&start=20

It can be a long installation if you do it bit by bit. Best advice is get everything:
1. Complete Intake
2. Ecu
3. Igniter
4. Fuel piping and filters.
5. Change feed piping in tank to 10mm 2 weeks prior of the installation
6. get high pressure fuel filters, normal filter and fuel pump
7. Odd bolts and nuts and wire sleeving

Then you do the Conversion, don't start with half of the parts.
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Stef »

LouisZ wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:56 pm Kyk bietjie na Cassie se Dyna:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3044&start=20

It can be a long installation if you do it bit by bit. Best advice is get everything:
1. Complete Intake
2. Ecu
3. Igniter
4. Fuel piping and filters.
5. Change feed piping in tank to 10mm 2 weeks prior of the installation
6. get high pressure fuel filters, normal filter and fuel pump
7. Odd bolts and nuts and wire sleeving

Then you do the Conversion, don't start with half of the parts.
True That :thumbup:

No 5 is what held me back for a few days, but I had them replace the original with 10mm , silver soldered back onto original cover as well as the 6mm (steel) fuel line replicated in an 8mm (inner dia, same as outlet of pump); still fits in the clamps on chassis
I'd also suggest a spare dizzy that you could have converted beforehand.
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Still using the original fuel lines on mine. No problem with the smaller pipe diameter at all - could be because of the 'in-tank' fuel pump. No surge tank required either. Pressure to the fuel rail stays constant, even at high revs.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Stef »

mine also not using a surge tank; would like to switch the inlet to the one at the bottom of the main tank where the LR tank also feeds in
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by LouisZ »

Make sure you put in an additional fuel filter if you feed from the bottom. These tanks getting old now. Lots of old paint etc at the bottom of the tank.
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

Ek het ook n elektriese Bosch petrol pomp in die tank ge-installeer.
Attachments
DSC04598 (Medium).JPG
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Stef »

LouisZ wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:32 pm Make sure you put in an additional fuel filter if you feed from the bottom. These tanks getting old now. Lots of old paint etc at the bottom of the tank.
LTD edition has a stainless tank; still spotless inside last I checked.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Stef wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:20 pm LTD edition has a stainless tank; still spotless inside last I checked.
+1 :thumbup:

In addition, the pump we fitted sits in a basket that is like a gauze filter and protects the pump from any debris that might get into the tank. The return line dumps the excess fuel into this basket which helps when the fuel level gets low.

The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

Wat ek hou van die elektriese pomp wat in die tank is , is dat hy stiller loop as die een wat buite gemonteer is.
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by LouisZ »

Stef ja, tot jy hom uithaal en die tank letterlik omkeer of die petrol uit tap. Jy sal skrik wat kom uit daai S/S tank. Toe ek myne gedoen het was daar so baie vuilgeid in moes die tank 2 keer skoon maak.
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Stef »

LouisZ wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:59 pm Stef ja, tot jy hom uithaal en die tank letterlik omkeer of die petrol uit tap. Jy sal skrik wat kom uit daai S/S tank. Toe ek myne gedoen het was daar so baie vuilgeid in moes die tank 2 keer skoon maak.
Praat jy swaer....weet jy hoe swaar is daai blerrie ding? Want al is die naald verby E in die swart in kom daar nog steeds meer as 20l se petrol uit :mrgreen:

Ek seker maar net gelukkig...met n flits v bo af in gekyk en hy was mooi skoon maar dis ook al 6 jaar terug. Het 'n filter net voor die pomp in elk geval

Return to “The Workshop”