HEADLIGHT ADJUSTMENT

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
mytruck
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Little Falls
Vehicle: Hilux 4x4 3D

HEADLIGHT ADJUSTMENT

Post by mytruck »

Hi Guys
I am in need of some help please. My Hilux 2009 d/c's headlights are horribly out of alignment. The are shinning into the trees, cannot see a visible difference between high and low beam. I have searched for online and although I have located the adjustment screws, when turning them I cannot see the light beam realigning. Is there something I am missing?, is there anybody that I can approach to do this for me in the West Rand area?
Any help/feedback would be appreciated.
Regards
Stef
Lorry
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: durban
Vehicle: D4D hilux DC $X$

Re: HEADLIGHT ADJUSTMENT

Post by Lorry »

Hi, i had a similar issue with my lights been to high, there are 2 adjustment screws on each light, one on the bottom and one on the top hidden away but you can get to it with 10 socket.
hope this helps
GRWLR ZN
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Richards Bay
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux - Lexus V8

Post by GRWLR ZN »

Morning Stefan,

First things first, are your head lights aftermarket or still original ? If they are aftermarket, that might be your problem, these aftermarket things look nice (angel eyes and crystal lights etc) but their reflectors are worth nothing on the road.

If they are still original, it is most probably just a matter of adjustment.
Drawing from experience, the best way I have found that works for me is to pull the bakkie about 2 meters from a wall, or even better, a garage door (the roll up type with the horizontal corrugation works best as the lines helps line up the beams).

If need be, sometimes it is easier to remove the grille to get to the adjustment screws. Keep in mind that these screws make very fine adjustments so one or two turns is not going to do the trick. It is a good idea to get an electric or battery operated drill to use as a screw driver as the faster turns will make a visible difference on the adjustments then.

Make sure you can see the light beams clearly outlined against the surface and start adjusting, you'll see very quickly which is horizontal- and which is vertical adjustments. I find it easier to get the vertical level (horizontal level) set first then i go for forward alignment. Obviously, you do not want the beams to be too far off from the front (center) of the vehicle, for your- and oncoming traffic's good.

Do not set them too low, you can roughly project in your mind's eye where the beam will fall 20 meters ahead. Once you are happy with the settings on dim, check the brights and be sure that they are not too high again. When done, take it for a test drive and see, especially how oncoming traffic reacts to the dim setting and go from there.

(If there is no movement what so ever when adjusting, one or more adjusting screws might be stripped.)

My trick through trial and error, this one works for me.

Hope this helps.
pieta.swanepoel
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2017 Toyota Hilux 2.4 GD-6 SR 4x4 SC

Post by pieta.swanepoel »

Dankie, Louis. Goeie verduideliking
Groot berge en lang grondpaaie

Return to “The Workshop”