Side shaft KZTE

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Tbachmeier
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE

Side shaft KZTE

Post by Tbachmeier »

Hi. I thought i had found the car of my dreams. KZTE 2005. But it is a nightmare. On the first trip to Botswana after a full service. Universal joint gone. Screw of the timing belt puller gone. Right side shaft leaking-new bearing and seal. Now leaking again. After refurbishing the propshaft and changing bearings inside the diff, the workshop tells me now both side shafts are bent. New ones are 8000 each.
Can anyone assist. Does it make sense tp biz used shafts? Where?
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Side shaft KZTE

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome aboard, Thomas. :thumbup:
Are we talking about front or rear side shafts?
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Tbachmeier

Post by Tbachmeier »

Hi mud dog
Thanks for the welcome although the reason coulb be better.
Rear. Do you no anyone who could do the job? Has anyone experience with ordering oem parts online for example Amayama. I do not trust this workshop anymore. They are changing one part after the other.
Seems the benting of the shafts and the leaking is a common problem.
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

To be honest, I've come across twisted, twisted off / snapped rear shafts, but never a bent one. Those things are about an inch or more thick and I have to wonder how a thick shaft that is protected by the banjo housing can get bent. :crazy:

I might be wrong, but it's possible that the workshop is cutting corners and fitted pirate seals. These are well known to leak after a short time, so it's probably not the shafts at all. I would certainly get a fresh opinion and fit OEM seals.

I would speak to Louis Zanoli up your way (Pretoria) .... LouisZ here on the forum. Centurion 012-941-0159 or 071-697-6579
He'll point you in the right direction. :winkx:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Drifter X
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Fourways
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Kzte

Post by Drifter X »

Welcome Thomas. I also doubt that you have a bent shaft. I experienced something similar a few years ago only to realise that the workshop at the time fitted the bearing collar incorrectly. Have it checked by somebody else.
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

To bend a rear shaft you have to literally roll the bakkie or slide into a sidewalk. No way it bends by it self.

+1 on incorrect fitment of rear wheelbearings and seals. Or not good quality parts was used.

I wont let them go ahead on that job. :think:
Tbachmeier

Post by Tbachmeier »

Hi Louis,
the workshop is called sparklight in Alex and they have a quite good reputation. So I really dont know what to do. If they reassemble it, do you have someone you can recommend. Prefereably in the area of Joburg
Thanks
I cant even get a second hand side shaft. The first ones bought by sparklight were too short, the second one I bought were without ABS. There are so many different ones 27 splines or 29 or 30, with and without ABS, imported or local diffs.
Thomas
Tbachmeier

Post by Tbachmeier »

Hi once more,
just watched a video on youtube and the guy said the most common reason for leaking axles are the breather. Is it actually possible that if it is clogged that the pressure becomes so strong that it destroys the seals?
Just another desperate idea
Thomas
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi again Thomas. Yes a blocked breather can cause weeping at the seals, but IMO it would have been happening right off the bat with the new seals. Perhaps it was but took a while to leak enough for it to become noticeable.

Easy enough to check. Just screw out the breather (I think it's a 12mm spanner required) and look if it's blocked. Clean and put back.

Wayne
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7 4x4

Post by Wayne »

Hi Thomas,
A mistake that mechanics often make is to press the abs ring and last slip ring hard up against the bearing ring.
The ABS ring and slip ring should be pressed to a specific distance from the wheel flange.
The oil seal runs on the last slip ring not the shaft so if it has been pressed too far the oil seal doesnt seal.
You can check by removing the wheel, remove the abs sensor, look down the hole that the sensor was in.
The abs ring should line up with the hole

Return to “The Workshop”